1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Laplace's Equation

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    • Moved from technical forum so the template is missing
    A point charge q is situated at a distance d from a grounded conducting plane of infinite extent. Find the potential at different points in space.

I want to solve this problem without using the image charge idea.

I assumed azimuthal symmetry and took the zonal harmonics. And we know that as r tends to infinite the potential in the opposite side of the conducting plane goes to a constant. So we are left with the Pn(theta)r^{-(n+1)} terms.

$$V(r,\theta)=A_1 + \frac{C_1}{r} + \frac{C_2}{r^2}\cos(\theta)) + \frac{C_3}{2}(3\cos^2(\theta) - 1) + .....$$

When cos(theta)=d/r, the potential vanishes. So we get the condition:

$$A_1 + \frac{C_1}{r} + \frac{C_2}{r^2}\frac{d}{r} + \frac{C_3}{2}(3\frac{d^2}{r^2} - 1) + ..... =0$$

for all r

Now how to progress further? How do I get the coefficients

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2017 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you are answering the same question in the image - it just asks for the total charge on the plane (which you can compute from the image solution). What is the real question you are trying to answer?

Jason

4. May 27, 2017 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the way, if you want to solve without images, you will have better luck I think if you use Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates since your boundary is a plane. It will be fairly involved - more difficult than the kinds of problems in a typical undergrad (in US) textbook like Griffiths. For fun I solved it using integral transform techniques and contour integration, but other approaches could be used. I'm pretty sure that whatever way you solve it, instead of a discrete sum of functions you will find a continuous sum (an integral). EDIT: the integral can be evaluated to yield the image solution, of course.

Jason

Last edited: May 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted