Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to quddusaliquddus's cont func. questions if you want it

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quddusaliquddus stop reading if you don't want the solution.

OK?

Stopped?

Right, to find all cont, functions from R to R satisfying f(x+y)f(x-y) = (f(x)f(y))^2

put x=y=0 to see f(0)^2=f(0)^4 ie f(0) =0 1 or -1

also x=y shows f(0)f(2x)=f(x)^4

so f(0)=0 implies f=0

if f(0)=1 then we see the relation

f(2x)=f(x)^4

if you're stupid you get mixed up and conclude that only the constant solution f=1 works. Then you realize that there are obviously non-constant solutions, duh! such as 2^{x^2} so you figure out why these ones are the only kind:

so, let f(1) = k

then f(2)=k^4, f(4)=k^16, hmm, f(3) can be got from f(3)f(1)=(f(2)f(1))^2

and pretty soon you realize that for every integer n, f(n)=k^{n^2}

now you go on to think, but we can do it for all rationals with powers of 2 in the denominator, and it works there, and as they're dense in the reals you see that actually f_k(x) = k^{x^2} forms a complete set of solutions (well, there's the solutions g_k = -f_k but whose counting).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    Lol...I must say you have unbounded enthusiasm for maths! Shall i post the answer I got from someone else? It looks slightly different, so you might be interested.

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd certainly like to know if I've missed something.

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4
    I hope this comment wasn't directed at me because of my question in the other thread... ;)

6. Apr 7, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nope, it was directed at me, sorry if you thought it was meant for someone else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?