Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to: Sqrt(x) = -1

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    Does the equation Sqrt(x) + 1 = 0 have a solution? I would say that it doesnt. But the equation x^2 + 1 = 0 doesn't have a solution either, unless you define the imaginary unit i as the solution to the equation.

So why don't one define some unit which is the solution to the equation Sqrt(x) + 1 = 0? Is it simply because it is of no practical use?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    [tex]\sqrt{i^{4}}[/tex] +1 = 0

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, i4= 1!

Repetit, if you are referring to the square root function as defined for real numbers, then [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is specifically DEFINED as "the positive real number whose square is x". By that definition, it is impossible that [itex]\sqrt{x}= -1[/itex].

If, however, you are referring to the square root function as defined for complex numbers, where 'multi-valued' functions are allowed, then -1 is one of the two square roots of 1. The only solution to the equation [itex]\sqrt{x}= -1[/itex] is x= 1.

5. Nov 20, 2007 #4
    Hmm, I see, that makes sense. Thanks to both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?