1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to the wave equation?

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the function
    y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2)
    a solution to the wave equation
    2y / ∂t2 = v2 (∂2y / ∂x2)

2. Relevant equations

2y / ∂t2 = v2 (∂2y / ∂x2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the solution through finding the partial derivatives (∂2y / ∂t2 and ∂2y / ∂x2) of the function. I got that it is a solution if α=-1 and β=1. However, this was a very long winded process of taking derivatives and am wondering if there is another way to solve it. I notice now that if I put α=-1 and β=1 into the original equation, y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2) , then the exponents are the same. Am I suppose to notice this right away instead of taking the derivatives? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are likely supposed to notice it directly. What is the general form of a solution to the wave equation?

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3
    General form is : y(x,t) = Aei(kx-ωt) = A[cos(kx-ωt) + isin(kx-ωt)]

So if I notice the exponents are the same under the condition α=-1 and β=1 how does that exactly translate to it being a solution of the wave equation?

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, this is not the most general form. It is just a plane wave solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted