Solutions, electrolysis, current and time

Your name]In summary, during the electrolysis of an 800 milliliter .08 molar Ag+ solution, the two half reactions that occur are Ag+ + e- → Ag (reduction reaction) at the anode and 2H2O + 2e- → H2 + 2OH- (oxidation reaction) at the cathode. This results in the formation of solid silver and oxygen gas, and the solution becomes progressively more acidic as the reaction progresses.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

An 800 milliliter .08 molar Ag+ solution was electrolyzed, resulting in the formation of solid silver and oxygen gas. The solution was subjected to a current of 2 amperes for 10 minutes. The solution became progressively more acidic as the reaction progressed.

a) write the two half reactions that occur stating which takes place at the anode and which at the cathode.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are more parts but I can do them. I am just having trouble figuring out what the solution in the anode. I figure the cathode has Ag+ in it and the electrode is being plated with Silver metal. I keep thinking that its water in the cathode but I can't put my finger exactly on how to write the equation. Someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Based on the information provided, the two half reactions that occur during the electrolysis of the Ag+ solution are:

1) At the anode: Ag+ + e- → Ag (reduction reaction)
2) At the cathode: 2H2O + 2e- → H2 + 2OH- (oxidation reaction)

The reduction reaction takes place at the anode, where the positively charged Ag+ ions gain electrons to form solid silver. This process is known as reduction because the Ag+ ions are gaining electrons and becoming more negatively charged.

The oxidation reaction takes place at the cathode, where water molecules lose electrons to form hydrogen gas and hydroxide ions. This process is known as oxidation because the water molecules are losing electrons and becoming more positively charged.

As the reaction progresses, the concentration of Ag+ ions decreases at the anode due to their reduction into solid silver. This results in an increase in the concentration of H+ ions, making the solution more acidic.

I hope this helps to clarify the half reactions that occur during the electrolysis of the Ag+ solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Based on the information given, it is likely that the anode reaction is the oxidation of water to form oxygen gas, while the cathode reaction is the reduction of Ag+ ions to form solid silver. This can be represented by the following half reactions:

Anode: 2H2O(l) → O2(g) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-

Cathode: 2Ag+(aq) + 2e- → 2Ag(s)

Since the solution becomes more acidic as the reaction progresses, it is likely that the concentration of H+ ions increases due to the formation of oxygen gas at the anode. This results in a decrease in the pH of the solution. The current of 2 amperes for 10 minutes indicates the amount of electricity used in the electrolysis process, which can be used to calculate the total charge (Q) transferred during the reaction:

Q = I x t = 2 A x 600 s = 1200 C

Overall, the electrolysis of the 800 milliliter .08 molar Ag+ solution results in the reduction of silver ions at the cathode and the oxidation of water at the anode, leading to the formation of solid silver and oxygen gas. This reaction can be used to produce pure silver from a silver solution, and the amount of silver deposited can be calculated using Faraday's laws of electrolysis.

1. What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where one substance (called the solute) is dissolved in another substance (called the solvent).

2. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is the process of using an electrical current to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. It involves the decomposition of a compound into its constituent elements.

3. How does current affect electrolysis?

The amount of current passing through the electrolytic cell directly affects the rate of electrolysis. Higher currents lead to faster reactions, while lower currents result in slower reactions.

4. What is Faraday's law of electrolysis?

Faraday's law of electrolysis states that the amount of chemical change produced by a current is directly proportional to the quantity of electricity passed through the cell.

5. How does time impact electrolysis?

The longer the electrolysis process is allowed to continue, the greater the amount of chemical change that will occur. This is because more electricity will have passed through the cell, resulting in a greater amount of product being produced.