1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to a Linear System

1. Aug 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all solutions of the linear system
    x + 2y + 3z = a
    x + 3y + 8z = b
    x + 2y + 2z = c
    where a,b, and c are arbitrary constants.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using elimination, I managed to set the coefficients on the diagonal equal to 1, which then allowed me to solve for z, which was z = -c + a. Substituting z into the other equations to obtain x and y, I ended up with the following solution:
    x= -6a - 2b + 13c
    y = b + 4a -5c
    z = a - c
    I was wondering if my method of solving is valid, and if the answer I obtained seems reasonable. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your z looks correct, but I get something different for y and x. Recheck your work, and I'll recheck mine.

4. Aug 29, 2015 #3
    I plugged my values back into the original system and the equalities don't match up. Now I'm just trying to find out where my mistake was.

5. Aug 29, 2015 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I just redid it, your Z is correct, so start back from there. I'm assuming you just made a calculation error with y. Your a is positive (and smaller than it should be), while it should be negative. Same deal with your C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted