Solutions to a simple equation

• Thread starter LeBrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of integer solutions to the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2. It is stated that there are solutions where a, b, c, d are all equal to 1, 2, or -1, as well as solutions where a=1=c, b=-1=d. The conversation also mentions the possibility of solutions where a, b, c, d are unique. It is then suggested to let (a/b, c/d) and (x/y, z/w) be any two rational points on the unit circle, which leads to infinitely many rational points on the unit circle. The conversation also discusses solving the equation a^3 + b^
LeBrad
Are there integer (nonzero) solutions to this equation?

[tex]a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes, a=b=c=d=1, a=b=c=d=2, a=b=c=d=-1, etc.

Or if you like, a=1=c, b=-1=d. Or whatever combination you can think of.

Now that we've got that taken care of, how about solutions where a,b,c,d are unique?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found one [tex] 6^2+7^2 = 2^2+9^2[/tex]

Last edited:
let (a/b, c/d) and (x/y, z/w) be any two "rational points" on the unit circle, i.e. points both of whose coordinates are rational numbers.

then (a/b)^2 + (c/d)^2 = 1 = (x/y)^2 + (z/w)^2, and thus after

multiplying out the denominators we get y^2w^2[a^2 + c^2] = b^2d^2[x^2 + z^2]

which solves your problem.

now there are infinitely many rational points on the unit circle since you can
parametrize" the unit circle by projection from the north pole. i.e. join the point (0,1) to any rational point on the x axis. the line will meet the unit circle in a rational point. (a line with rational slope which meets the unit circle at one rational point, namely (0,1), also meets it at a second rational point.)

try this one: solve a^3 + b^3 = x^3 + y^3, two different ways.

Last edited:
A very insightful explanation, much appreciated.

mathwonk said:
solve a^3 + b^3 = x^3 + y^3

When I was thinking about my problem, I suddenly remembered that Ramanujan knew that [tex] 1729 = 9^3+10^3 = 1^3+12^3[/tex], so I figured mine had solutions too.

yes! that's the famous example i had in mind, supposedly provided by ramanujan to hardy in a taxicab, upon seeing the cabdrivers license number: 1729.

question: does a^3 + b^3 = x^3 + y^3, have an infinite number of solutions?

1. What is a simple equation?

A simple equation is a mathematical expression that contains one or more variables and an equal sign. It represents the relationship between the variables and can be solved to find the value of the unknown variable.

2. How do you solve a simple equation?

To solve a simple equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side. The value you are left with is the solution to the equation.

3. Can a simple equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple equation can have more than one solution. This is known as infinite solutions. It occurs when both sides of the equation are equal, and any value substituted for the variable will make the equation true.

4. What is the importance of checking your solution in a simple equation?

It is essential to check your solution in a simple equation to ensure that it satisfies the original equation. Sometimes, during the solving process, mistakes can be made, and the solution may be incorrect. Checking allows you to catch these errors and make corrections if necessary.

5. How can I check my solution in a simple equation?

To check your solution in a simple equation, you can substitute the value of the variable you found into the original equation. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct. If the equation is false, then you may need to go back and recheck your solving process.