1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solvable groups

1. Jul 19, 2007 #1
    I've been working on this problem and I need just a small hint.

Let [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] be solvable subgroups of a group [itex]G[/itex] and suppose that [itex]A\triangleleft G [/itex]. Prove that [itex]AB[/itex] is solvable.

My idea:

So we have a chain of normal subgroups of A so that their quotient is abelian. We also have a chain of normal subgroups of B so that their quotient is abelian. Since A is normal in G, should I multiply the normal subgroups [itex]A_i[/itex] in A by B to obtain [itex]B=1*B=A_0 B \triangleleft A_1 B \triangleleft ... \triangleleft A_k B = AB[/itex], but how do we know that [itex](A_{i+1}B)/(A_i B)[/itex] is abelian?

If I understand this one thing, then I think I can finish the rest of the proof. Thank you!

This is a right approach, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

somehow i am tempted to use the fundamental isomorphism theorem about

the structure of (AB)/A.

4. Jul 19, 2007 #3
    Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that the above construction [itex]B=1*B=A_0 B \triangleleft A_1 B \triangleleft ... \triangleleft A_k B = AB[/itex] is correct but I'm not even sure that [itex]A_i B[/itex] is normal in [itex]A_{i+1}B[/itex]?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?