Solving a Tough Math Problem: Any Ideas?

• Thread starter al-mahed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, Robert found a problem on another forum where m is of the form 4x+3 for n>1. For n even, m^m-1 is divisible by 3. For n odd, m^m-2 is divisible by 3. Any ideas?
al-mahed
I came across this problem on another forum. Seems to be very tough.

The only trivial facts are:

m is of the form 4x+3 for n>1

a trivial solution (n,m) is (0,2)

for n even, m^m-1 is divisible by 3
for n odd, m^m-2 is divisible by 3

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
To input something in this discussion, aside from the trivial solution, m can't be even. If m was even, the parities don't match up, so you know that m has to be odd. I'll try to figure something more later.

If you are right that "m is of the form 4x+3 for n>1", then the only solution is the trivial solution.

M can not be even, since 2^n+3 is always odd. but all odd squares are congruent to 1 Mod 4, so that2^n congruent to 0 for n greater than one. So he only possibility is m^2 = 5, which is not a square.

Now if we try the case of 2^n+5 =m^2, we have a solution for n=2, m=3. Are there more? No, why?

M can not be even, so it is odd. All such square are congruent to 1 Mod 8. So we have
2^n+5=1+8K, or 2^n+4 = 8K, which reduces to 2^(n-2) + 1 =2K. This is possible only for the previously described case n-2 = 0.

robert

I didn`t understand what you did, m is not necessarely of the form 8t+1, m^m is not a square as the exponent m is odd, 3^3 - 1 is not divisible by 8 (and not by 4 neither), 5^5-1 is not divisible by 8, and infinitely many other examples.

jgm340

when n > 1, m is of the form 4x+3

2^1+3=5=4+1
2^2+3=7=4+3
2^3+3=11=4*2+3
2^4+3=19=4*4+3

and so on

All odd squares are of the form 8K+1. (2n+1)^2 =4n^2+4n+1 =4n(n+1)+1. I am also looking at the case not for 3, but for 5: 2^n+5 = m^2.

I know this fact about perfect odd squares, the thing is: m^m is NOT a perfect odd square, m is odd, so we have (2k+1)^{(2k+1)}=(2k+1)^{2k}(2k+1), a square times a non square (only if m is a square itself)

and moreover, 2^n+3=2^n+2+1=2(2^{n-1}+1)+1, it cannot have the form 4r+1

ps: why are you trying to solve 2^n+5=m^2? it is not the original problem! but if you are really interested on it, you`ll find infinitely many solutions

What are the solutions to 2^n+5 = m^2? There is some real misunderstanding here.

hi robert

as for [tex]2^n+5=m^2\ ==>\ 4(2^{n-2}+1)+1=m^2=4k(k+1)+1[/tex], in fact there is not infinitely many solutions as I prematurely said, n = 2 is the only solution, as k(k+1) is always even and [tex]2^{n-2}+1[/tex] is even only for n = 2

going back to the original problem, I don`t understand your solution since m^m is never a square, could you please elaborate it more?

cheers

robert Ihnot said:
What are the solutions to 2^n+5 = m^2?
m=4 and n=3 is the only solution.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread the problem.

al-mahed said:
hi robert

as for [tex]2^n+5=m^2\ ==>\ 4(2^{n-2}+1)+1=m^2=4k(k+1)+1[/tex], in fact there is not infinitely many solutions as I prematurely said, n = 2 is the only solution, as k(k+1) is always even and [tex]2^{n-2}+1[/tex] is even only for n = 2

going back to the original problem, I don`t understand your solution since m^m is never a square, could you please elaborate it more?

cheers

Such problems are normally worked by making the assumption there is a solution, i.e. that m*m is a perfect squre, that is an integral square.

robert Ihnot said:
Such problems are normally worked by making the assumption there is a solution, i.e. that m*m is a perfect squre, that is an integral square.

Ok, let`s put into these terms: considering a natural n >0, and (hence!) an odd integer m, find solutions to 2^n+3=m^m, or prove there is any

robert Ihnot said:
Isn't m^m m to the mth power not m*m

I see that, as is frequent, I did not read the original problem correctly.

robert Ihnot said:
I see that, as is frequent, I did not read the original problem correctly.

it happens with me all the time! to avoid further mistakes we are talking about [itex]2^n+3=m^m[/itex]

I think we can work it out using [itex]a^{\varphi (m)}\equiv\ 1\mod m[/itex]

as m is not divisible by 2, and [itex]\varphi (2^n)=2^{n-1}[/itex] we have

[tex]\large\ m^{2^{n-1}}\equiv\ 1\mod 2^n[/tex], but [tex]\large\ m^m\equiv\ 3\mod 2^n[/tex], hence

[tex]\large\ m^{2^{n-1}}\equiv\ m^m-2\mod 2^n[/tex]

Last edited:
the font is too small, in case you cannot see the exponet properly I was trying to say that (now I modified some things):

[tex]\large\ (m^2)^{n-1}\equiv\ 1\ mod\ 2^n\ ==>\ m^{2^n}\equiv\ m^2 \ mod\ 2^n\ ==>\ m^{(m^m-3)}\equiv\ m^2\ mod\ 2^n[/tex]

then [tex]m^2[m^{(m^m-5)}-1]\equiv\ 0\ mod\ 2^n\ ==>\ m^{(m^m-5)}\equiv\ 1\ mod\ 2^n[/tex]

I don`t know exactly how to proceed from here, but [tex]m^m-5[/tex] cannot be a primitive root, otherwise it would imply (by the theorem of primitive roots) that [tex]m^m-5 | 2^{n-1}[/tex], and that`s not true for n> 1 since [tex]2^n-2=m^m-5[/tex]

just to point ouy that I made a terrible mistake

[tex]\large\ m^{2^{n-1}}\equiv\ 1\ mod\ 2^n\ ==>\ m^{2^n}\equiv\ m^2 \ mod\ 2^n[/tex]

is false, the correct is

[tex]\large\ m^{2^{n-1}}\equiv\ 1\ mod\ 2^n\ ==>\ m^{2^n}\equiv\ 1 \ mod\ 2^n[/tex]

since [tex](m^2)^{n-1}\neq\ m^{2^{n-1}][/tex]

for instance 2^(2^3) = 2^8 = 256

and (2^2)^3 = 4^3 = 64

2^n+3 = m^m, then 2^n +4 = m^m+1 = (m+1)(1-m+m^2-+++m^(m-1)). We know m is odd, and since the later part of the factorization is odd, we have 4 and only 4 divides m+1, so m==3 Mod 8.

1. How do I approach a tough math problem?

The first step in solving a tough math problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try using different strategies such as drawing a diagram or making a table to help you solve the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a tough math problem?

If you get stuck on a tough math problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try asking for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. Sometimes, discussing the problem with someone else can help you see it in a different light.

3. How can I check if my solution to a tough math problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it works. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer. Additionally, you can use online tools or ask a teacher to verify your solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tough math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving tough math problems include misreading the problem, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not showing your work. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for tough math problems?

Practicing regularly and working on a variety of math problems can help improve your problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to review and understand any mistakes you make, as well as learning from different problem-solving strategies. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.