What is the general formula for solving polynomial series?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a general solution for the given series 3, 7, 12, 18, 25. Various approaches were suggested, including calculating the differences between numbers, graphing, and using recursive or quadratic formulas. Ultimately, it was determined that the series can be generalized as u(n) = n(n+5)/2.
johann1301h
Hi, I am trying to solve this series generally:

the series: 3 7 12 18 25.

i tried using x(n) = 3 + 4n.

But this doesn't work.. Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
johann1301h said:

I would add ##0## at the beginning and see whether that helps.

Calculate how much the numbers increase in each step. That should lead to some pattern.

johann1301h said:

Did you try graphing it?
When I graphed your series of numbers, I got a curve.
That implied to me, that "4n", being a linear function, was not correct.

You must find ##f(n)## such that ##a_{n+1}=f(n)+a_{n}## with ##a_{0}=3##, hint: think simple!
Ssnow

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Most sequences can be resolve using difference (not differential) analysis.

Code:
 7    4  
12    5    1
18    6    1
25    7    1

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Just stumbled across this page. I'm doing independent math research and the series you are inquiring about is a smaller part of what I am doing. The formula you are looking for is F(n)= n(n+5) / 2 = {3,7,12,18,25,...}. It is similar to the formula for triangular numbers T(n) = n(n+1)/2 = {1,3,6,10,15,...}. Hope this helps!

Regards,
David

Difference between two numbers is (2+n), so you can write x(n)= (2+n) + x(n-1) when n > 1.

This is a recursive formula, that also can be written out as:
x(n) = (2+n) + (2+n-1) + (2+n-2) + (2+n-3) + ... + x(1)

Recognizing the pattern as:
[itex]x(n) = x(1) + \sum_{i=2}^n(2+i) = x(1) - 3 + \sum_{i=1}^n(2+i) = \sum_{i=1}^n2+ \sum_{i=1}^ni = 2n+ n(n+1)/2 = n(n+5)/2 [/itex]

So we find x(n) = n(n+5)/2.

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^nn = n(n+1)/2[/itex] can be found from a table or WolframAlpha(or could also derivated without too much trouble) :)

Type out math instead of posting images.
IMG_20200218_223414.jpg

This is not necessarily a better method, since yours is actually probably faster in this case, however any series with a constant second difference is called a quadratic series and can be generalised as such:

##u_{n} = an^{2} + bn + c##

First term: ##u_{1} = a + b + c##
First difference: ##u_{n} - u_{n-1} = 2an + (b-a)##
Second difference: ##(u_{n} - u_{n-1}) - (u_{n-1} - u_{n-2}) = 2a##

So in the case of the sequence ##3,7,12,18,25...## we can write down three relations

##a + b + c = 3##
##3a + b = 4##
##2a = 1##

Which gives ##a = \frac{1}{2}, b = \frac{5}{2}, c= 0##, so

##u_{n} = \frac{1}{2}n^{2} + \frac{5}{2}n##

which is the answer you obtained.

More generally it's easy to check by induction that $$\sum_{n=1}^{a} n (n + 1) (n + 2) \dotsm (n + p - 1) = \frac{a (a + 1) \dotsm (a + p)}{p + 1} \,.$$ The relation can be be seen as the discrete analogue of $$\int_{0}^{a} \mathrm{d}x \, x^{p} = \frac{a^{p+1}}{p + 1}$$ and it can be used to determine the partial sum of any polynomial. For example, $$\begin{eqnarray*}
\sum_{n=1}^{a} n^{3} &=& \sum_{n=1}^{a} \bigl( n - 3 n (n + 1) + n (n + 1) (n + 2) \bigr) \\
&=& \frac{1}{2} a (a + 1) - 3 \frac{1}{3} a (a + 1) (a + 2) + \frac{1}{4} a (a + 1) (a + 2) (a + 3) \\
&=&\frac{1}{4} a^{2} (a + 1)^{2} \,.
\end{eqnarray*}$$

What is the pattern in the series 3 7 12 18 25?

The pattern in this series is adding consecutive odd numbers to the previous number starting from 3. So, 3 + 4 = 7, 7 + 5 = 12, 12 + 6 = 18, and so on.

What is the next number in the series 3 7 12 18 25?

The next number in the series would be 33. This follows the same pattern of adding consecutive odd numbers to the previous number, so 25 + 8 = 33.

Can this series be written as a formula?

Yes, the formula for this series would be n^2 + 2, where n is the position of the number in the series. So, for the first number (3), n = 1, and for the fifth number (25), n = 5.

What is the significance of this series in mathematics?

This series is known as the "sum of consecutive odd numbers" series and has been studied extensively in mathematics. It has applications in number theory, algebra, and even physics.

How can this series be used in real-life situations?

This series can be used to calculate the total number of objects in a triangular pyramid structure. It can also be applied in calculating the number of different combinations of items in a set.