1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve 3b^(2/3) - 2b = 10/16

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3b^(2/3) - 2b = 10/16

Find solution to a precision of thousanths

The attempt at a solution

I know the answer is ~ .199, I do not however know how to actually solve the above equation. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it, it's been over 10 years since I took an algebra class.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Reduce 10/16 → 5/8.

Isolate the 3b2/3 by adding 2b to both sides.

Cube both sides.

The result is a cubic equation. This particular cubic equation does not have any rational solutions.

Use the bisection method, starting with a very small interval near 0.2. There is the solution near 0.2, as you said, but there's another nearby; between -0.1 and 0 .

There is a third solution that's between 2 and 3.

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    I believe Newton-Rhapsody iterative solving method might help you to find the roots if they are real ofcourse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4
    Thanks guys,

This was the end of a much larger problem and it now makes sense that I need to use the Newton's Method(this is was the end of a Calc II) problem.

It's been a long time for some algebra concepts for me so I appreciate all the help.

Dave

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the pre-calculus section, so I suggested bisection.

Make sure your initial guess is close enough to the root you want to find. Newton's Method may find a different root if you don't start close enough to the one you're interested in.

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There's Newton-Raphson, which is probably what you were thinking of.

8. Jan 25, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But "Rhapsody" sounds so much better!

9. Jan 25, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Well, there's that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook