How to Solve ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7) for Junior Olympiad?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ranga519
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a junior Olympiad paper about finding a solution for the equation ∛(7+5√2)-∛(5√2-7). The experts on the website provide a detailed explanation, using algebraic techniques and solving the equation to determine that the solution is 2. The original poster expresses gratitude for the help and finds the website to be a valuable resource.
ranga519
Hi,I'm new to this website.
This a question i came across in a junior Olympiad paper.Need help solving it.Thanks

∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi ranga519 and welcome to MHB! :D

How can we check if $5\sqrt2+7$ is a cube? That is, if there is a number that, when cubed, is equal to $5\sqrt2+7$, how can we find it?

ranga519 said:
Hi,I'm new to this website.
This a question i came across in a junior Olympiad paper.Need help solving it.Thanks

∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)

I would take Greg's advice and write:

\(\displaystyle 5\sqrt{2}\pm7=(b\sqrt{2}\pm a)^3=\pm a^3+3\sqrt{2}a^2b\pm6ab^2+2\sqrt{2}b^3=\left(3a^2b+2b^3\right)\sqrt{2}\pm\left(a^3+6ab^2\right)\)

We can see by inspection that one solution is:

\(\displaystyle (a,b)=(1,1)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{5\sqrt{2}+7}-\sqrt[3]{5\sqrt{2}-7}=\sqrt[3]{(\sqrt{2}+1)^3}-\sqrt[3]{(\sqrt{2}-1)^3}=(\sqrt{2}+1)-(\sqrt{2}-1)=2\)

Let $u = \sqrt[3]{7+5\sqrt{2}}$ and $v= \sqrt[3]{7-5\sqrt{2}}$. We're interested in the sum $u+v$. First, observe that $u \cdot v = -1$. Also, $(u+v)^3 = u^3+3uv (u+v)+v^3$ and since $u \cdot v = -1$ and $u^3+v^3 = 14$ we have $(u+v)^3 = 14-3(u+v).$ Now let $x=u+v$. It now becomes solving the polynomial $x^3+3x-14 = 0$. By inspection, $x=2$ satisfies the equation, and thus we can write it as $(x-2)(x^2+2x+7)=0$, and we easily see that it has no other real roots. Hence $x=2$ is the only real root; hence $u+v=2$.

Thank you very much for the help,
I find this website really helpful.

1. What is the solution to ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)?

The solution to this expression is 2.

2. How do you solve ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)?

To solve this expression, first factor out the cube root of 7 from the first term and the cube root of 7 from the second term. Then, use the difference of cubes formula to simplify the expression to 2.

3. What is the significance of the value 2 in the solution to ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)?

The value 2 represents the difference between the cube root of (7+5√2) and the cube root of (5√2-7). It is the solution to the expression and shows the relationship between the two terms.

4. Can this expression be simplified further?

No, the expression ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7) is already in its simplest form. It cannot be simplified any further.

5. What is the real-world application of solving ∛(7+5√2) - ∛(5√2-7)?

This expression can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to calculate the difference between two quantities that are represented by cube roots. It can also be used to solve problems involving cube roots in real-life scenarios.