How to Solve a Differential Equation with Unknown x and Metric s

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation involving the unknown variable x and the metric s, represented by ds^2=(1/x^2)dx^2+(1/x^2)dy^2. The attempt at a solution involved trying to write out (d^2/ds^2)(1/x), but it was incorrect. The correct solution was found by using the substitution u=(1/x) and plugging it into the equation, leading to (d^2(1/x)/ds^2)=1/x.
fraggle

Homework Statement

Solve this differential equation

http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cfrac%7B2%7D%7Bx%5E2%7D%28%5Cfrac%7Bdx%7D%7Bds%7D%29%5E2-%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bx%7D%20%5Cfrac%7B%7Bd%5E2%7Dx%7D%7Bd%7Bs%5E2%7D%7D%3D1.gif

(thanks Mark)

where x is unknown, s represents the metric http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21ds%5E2%3D%281/x%5E2%29dx%5E2%2B%281/x%5E2%29dy%5E2.gif

Homework Equations

just that equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing out (d^2/ds^2)(1/x), but it wasn't right. x is unknown, s represents the metric ds^2=(1/x^2)dx^2+(1/x^2)dy^2

This might work if we use a substitution, I just don't know what.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Added tex tags.
fraggle said:

Homework Statement

Solve this differential equation (easiest to read if you plug the following equation into the link below):

[tex]\frac{2}{x^2}(\frac{dx}{ds})^2-\frac{1}{x} \frac{{d^2}x}{d{s^2}}=1[/tex]

http://www.texify.com/links.php

or

(2/x^2)(dx/ds)^2 -(1/x)(d^2 x/ds^2)
where x is unknown, s represents the metric ds^2=(1/x^2)dx^2+(1/x^2)dy^2

Homework Equations

just that equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing out (d^2/ds^2)(1/x), but it wasn't right.

Homework Statement

x is unknown, s represents the metric ds^2=(1/x^2)dx^2+(1/x^2)dy^2

This might work if we use a substitution, I just don't know what.
Thanks

Figured it out.

Use
http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cfrac%7B%7Bd%5E2%7Du%28x%29%7D%7Bd%7Bs%5E2%7D%7D%3D%5Cfrac%7Bd%7D%7Bds%7D%20%28%5Cfrac%7Bdu%7D%7Bdx%7D%20%5Cfrac%7Bdx%7D%7Bds%7D%29.gif
Oops, I guess I don't know how to paste in the text.

write out: d^2(u(x))/ds^2
then if we let u=(1/x) then plugging in we find that (d^2(1/x)/ds^2)=1/x

that's all I needed (solving for x)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model relationships between quantities that are constantly changing, such as the rate of change of temperature over time.

Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to describe real-world phenomena and are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What methods can be used to solve a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. The method used will depend on the type of differential equation and the initial conditions given.

What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are often used to model single-variable systems, while partial differential equations are used for systems with multiple variables.

How can solving differential equations be applied in real life?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of real-world problems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems, in finance to model stock prices, and in biology to study the spread of diseases.