Solve Equation for x & y: 1+z=3-2i

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation 1+z=3-2i, when separated into real and imaginary parts, gives the solution of x=2 and y=-2. This is because the real and imaginary parts on both sides have to be equal, resulting in the equation x+iy=2-2i.
Ry122
Given z = x + iy
find x and y if
1 + z = 3 - 2i
I tried subbing x+iy into z and solving but all i got was x = y.
The answer in the back is x=2 y=-2

Physics news on Phys.org
Separate 1+(x+iy)=3-2i into real and imaginary parts. They have to be equal separately.

so is it just x+iy=2-2i ?

Ry122 said:
so is it just x+iy=2-2i ?

yeah and from here x=2, y=-2, because like Dick said the real part and the imaginary part on both sides has to be equal. Like
[tex]a+bi=c+di<=>a=c, \ \ and \ \ b=d[/tex]

What is the general method for solving equations with complex numbers?

The general method for solving equations with complex numbers is to isolate the real and imaginary parts of the equation and solve for each separately. Then, combine the solutions to get the complex number solution.

How do you solve equations with complex numbers using the quadratic formula?

To solve equations with complex numbers using the quadratic formula, first rewrite the equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, use the formula x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a to find the two solutions for x. These solutions will be complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

Can the equation have multiple solutions for x and y?

Yes, the equation can have multiple solutions for x and y. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, so there can be multiple combinations of real and imaginary numbers that satisfy the equation.

What is the purpose of solving equations with complex numbers?

Solving equations with complex numbers allows us to find solutions to mathematical problems that involve imaginary numbers. These solutions can have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

How do you check the solutions to an equation with complex numbers?

To check the solutions to an equation with complex numbers, substitute the values for x and y back into the original equation and simplify. If the resulting equation is true, then the solutions are correct. If the resulting equation is false, then the solutions are incorrect.