Solve another trig eqn with square roots

In summary, you need to solve \sqrt2 \sin\theta= \sqrt3-\cos\theta algebraically for the domain 0<theta<2pi. Once you have found a cos2 &theta;, you can use the addition of angles formula for sine to solve for θ.
aisha
solve [tex]\sqrt2 \sin\theta= \sqrt3-\cos\theta [/tex] algebraically for the domain 0<theta<2pi

I know that the cos can be changed into 1-sin^2 theta but I don't know what to do after how do I get everything on the right hand side and simplify it?

Physics news on Phys.org
That cos can't be changed into what you say since its not cos². Anyway, what exactly are you supposed to do with that equation?

I need to solve it yes u are right i can't use the trig identity 1+sin^2 theta to replace cos... now I am really lost lol what do I do? This is a review question :confused:

If you want to have a cos2 &theta;, then simply manipulate the equation until you get a cos2 &theta;.

I don't want to get cos^2 theta i just thought that was the way to solve this but I really have no idea Help please

The way I prefer to solve this type of problem is to rearrange it to look like:

A sin x + B cos x = C

So that I may find a y such that

A = sin y
B = cos y

which allows me to use the addition of angles formula for sine.

(Note that you need to have A^2 + B^2 = 1 to be able to do this... so you may need to multiply through by a constant so that this will be true)

aisha said:
solve [tex]\sqrt2 \sin\theta= \sqrt3-\cos\theta [/tex] algebraically for the domain 0<theta<2pi

I know that the cos can be changed into 1-sin^2 theta but I don't know what to do after how do I get everything on the right hand side and simplify it?
√2*sin(θ) = √3 - cos(θ)
⇒ √2*{1 - cos^2(θ)}^(1/2) = √3 - cos(θ) (<--- sin^2() + cos^2() = 1)
⇒ 2*{1 - cos^2(θ)} = 3 - 2*√3*cos(θ) + cos^2(θ) (<--- Squaring Both Sides)
⇒ 3*cos^2(θ) - 2*√3*cos(θ) + 1 = 0
⇒ {cos(θ) - 1/√3}^2 = 0
⇒ θ = arccos(1/√3)
⇒ Possible solutions: θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)} or {(5.328 rad)=(305.264 deg)}
Checking original equation, only first possibility is solution:
θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)}

~~

Last edited:
the solutions are 55 degrees and 305 degrees I found the last post to be a little confusing

aisha said:
the solutions are 55 degrees and 305 degrees I found the last post to be a little confusing
If you do understand the last post then all you need to do is take the 55° and then minus it from 360° and then you will end up with both answers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

xanthym said:
√2*sin(θ) = √3 - cos(θ)
⇒ √2*{1 - cos^2(θ)}^(1/2) = √3 - cos(θ) (<--- sin^2() + cos^2() = 1)
⇒ 2*{1 - cos^2(θ)} = 3 - 2*√3*cos(θ) + cos^2(θ) (<--- Squaring Both Sides)
⇒ 3*cos^2(θ) - 2*√3*cos(θ) + 1 = 0
⇒ {cos(θ) - 1/√3}^2 = 0
⇒ θ = arccos(1/√3)
⇒ Possible solutions: θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)} or {(5.328 rad)=(305.264 deg)}
Checking original equation, only first possibility is solution:
θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)}

Where did you become confused? Did you understand the substitution xanthym made for [tex]\sin\theta [/tex] ?

[tex]\sin\theta = [1 - cos^2\theta]^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] :bugeye:

With that substitution, the equation became in terms of [tex]\cos\theta [/tex].
After squaring both sides and rearranging terms, xanthym rewrote the equation so it looks like:
[tex] ax^2+bx+c = 0 [/tex] ... [tex] 3cos^2\theta - 2\sqrt{3}\cos\theta + 1 = 0 [/tex]

Can you factor that equation directly?
If that looks too tricky,
do you know another formula you can use to find roots of an equation in that form?

Do you understand taking the arccos (inverse cosine) of a value to find the angle?

(hint: to find both angles, remember there will be more than one quadrant between 0 and 2pi, where cosθ has the same sign). :cool:

xanthym got his one right.That 305° is not a viable solution,bacause it does not satisfy the initial equation.The sine of it is negative,while the the sqrt{3}-\cosine of it is positive...

Daniel.

Thanks it took me a little time to absorb but i do understand :approve:

38hrs...That's reasonable...You know what they say:"better late than never".Of course,it does not apply to dating women...

Daniel.

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation with square roots?

To solve a trigonometric equation with square roots, you will need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable within the square root. Then, you can square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root and solve for the variable. Remember to check your solutions to make sure they are valid within the given trigonometric function.

2. Can I use the Pythagorean identity to solve trigonometric equations with square roots?

Yes, the Pythagorean identity, which states that sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, can be used to simplify trigonometric equations with square roots. By replacing sin^2(x) or cos^2(x) with 1-cos^2(x) or 1-sin^2(x), respectively, you can eliminate the square root and solve the equation using algebraic methods.

3. What should I do if there is more than one square root in my trigonometric equation?

If there is more than one square root in the equation, you will need to isolate each square root and solve for the variable separately. Once you have found all possible solutions, you can combine them and check for any extraneous solutions that may have arisen from squaring both sides of the equation.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations with square roots?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool in solving trigonometric equations, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods used to solve them. Depending on the equation, you may need to use algebraic techniques or trigonometric identities to solve for the variable. Additionally, calculators may not always give exact solutions, so it is important to check your work.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving trigonometric equations with square roots?

One common mistake when solving trigonometric equations with square roots is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. These are solutions that may arise from squaring both sides of the equation, but do not satisfy the original equation. It is also important to pay attention to the domain of the trigonometric function and make sure your solutions fall within that range.