1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve another trig eqn with square roots

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    solve [tex]\sqrt2 \sin\theta= \sqrt3-\cos\theta [/tex] algebraically for the domain 0<theta<2pi

I know that the cos can be changed into 1-sin^2 theta but I dont know what to do after how do I get everything on the right hand side and simplify it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
    That cos can't be changed into what you say since its not cos². Anyway, what exactly are you supposed to do with that equation?
  4. Feb 25, 2005 #3
    I need to solve it yes u are right i cant use the trig identity 1+sin^2 theta to replace cos... now im really lost lol what do I do? This is a review question :confused:
  5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to have a cos2 &theta;, then simply manipulate the equation until you get a cos2 &theta;.
  6. Feb 25, 2005 #5
    I dont want to get cos^2 theta i just thought that was the way to solve this but I really have no idea Help plz
  7. Feb 25, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The way I prefer to solve this type of problem is to rearrange it to look like:

A sin x + B cos x = C

So that I may find a y such that

A = sin y
    B = cos y

which allows me to use the addition of angles formula for sine.

(Note that you need to have A^2 + B^2 = 1 to be able to do this... so you may need to multiply through by a constant so that this will be true)
  8. Feb 27, 2005 #7

Science Advisor

√2*sin(θ) = √3 - cos(θ)
    ⇒ √2*{1 - cos^2(θ)}^(1/2) = √3 - cos(θ) (<--- sin^2() + cos^2() = 1)
    ⇒ 2*{1 - cos^2(θ)} = 3 - 2*√3*cos(θ) + cos^2(θ) (<--- Squaring Both Sides)
    ⇒ 3*cos^2(θ) - 2*√3*cos(θ) + 1 = 0
    ⇒ {cos(θ) - 1/√3}^2 = 0
    ⇒ θ = arccos(1/√3)
    ⇒ Possible solutions: θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)} or {(5.328 rad)=(305.264 deg)}
    Checking original equation, only first possibility is solution:
    θ = {(0.9553 rad)=(54.736 deg)}

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  9. Feb 27, 2005 #8
    the solutions are 55 degrees and 305 degrees I found the last post to be a little confusing
  10. Feb 28, 2005 #9
    If you do understand the last post then all you need to do is take the 55° and then minus it from 360° and then you will end up with both answers.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  11. Mar 2, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you become confused? Did you understand the substitution xanthym made for [tex]\sin\theta [/tex] ?

[tex]\sin\theta = [1 - cos^2\theta]^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] :bugeye:

With that substitution, the equation became in terms of [tex]\cos\theta [/tex].
    After squaring both sides and rearranging terms, xanthym rewrote the equation so it looks like:
    [tex] ax^2+bx+c = 0 [/tex] ....... [tex] 3cos^2\theta - 2\sqrt{3}\cos\theta + 1 = 0 [/tex]

Can you factor that equation directly?
    If that looks too tricky, :surprised
    do you know another formula you can use to find roots of an equation in that form?

Do you understand taking the arccos (inverse cosine) of a value to find the angle?

(hint: to find both angles, remember there will be more than one quadrant between 0 and 2pi, where cosθ has the same sign). :cool:
  12. Mar 2, 2005 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

xanthym got his one right.That 305° is not a viable solution,bacause it does not satisfy the initial equation.The sine of it is negative,while the the sqrt{3}-\cosine of it is positive...

13. Mar 3, 2005 #12
    Thanks it took me a little time to absorb but i do understand :approve:
  14. Mar 3, 2005 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

38hrs...That's reasonable...You know what they say:"better late than never".Of course,it does not apply to dating women...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?