Can I solve any equation using online tools like QuickMath or Matlab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter kmarinas86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various tools and programs for solving equations, with a focus on online integrators and the website provided in the link. Matlab is mentioned as a more numerical tool, while Mathematica and Maple are praised for their ability to solve algebraic equations. The conversation concludes by acknowledging that while complete packages may be more effective, they also come at a higher cost.
kmarinas86
http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=equations&s2=solve&s3=basic

FACT: THIS IS HELPS ME! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, shame, I thought it might be one that explain how problems are solved. There are lots of solver programs out there that do this kind of thing, some with a vast array of other things they can do.

At higher level mathematics 'solving equations' generally isn't that interesting and certainly not the trivial ones this can only do.

Oh, won't even give me a numerical answer for something like:

x^2 - 40 = e^x

Last edited:
Oh, I dunno, it's fairly good for what it does. Together with the online integrator, I think we have a good set of tools to minimse the effort we spend on problems.

What about matlab? I had the impression that this tool could solve quite a few type of equations.

Jeff Reid said:
What about matlab? I had the impression that this tool could solve quite a few type of equations.
Matlab's more numerical.

The above link looks like it uses Mathematica - this and Maple are both pretty good at solving algebraic equations.

Of course, the complete packages will always be better than the online intgrator and this tool, but they are much more expensive :wink:

1. How do I solve a basic equation with one variable?

To solve a basic equation with one variable, the first step is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. Then, perform the same operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is isolated. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

2. What should I do if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

If there are variables on both sides of the equation, start by combining like terms on each side. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Continue to solve using the same steps as a basic equation with one variable.

3. Can I use the same method to solve all types of equations?

No, different types of equations may require different methods to solve. For example, quadratic equations may require factoring or using the quadratic formula. It is important to identify the type of equation and use the appropriate method to solve it.

4. What do I do if there are fractions or decimals in the equation?

If there are fractions or decimals in the equation, start by clearing them by multiplying both sides of the equation by the common denominator. Then, follow the same steps as solving a basic equation with one variable.

5. What if I cannot solve the equation?

If you are unable to solve the equation, it may have no solution or an infinite number of solutions. This may happen if the equation is inconsistent or if the variable cancels out on both sides. In these cases, it is important to check your steps and make sure there are no errors. If there are no errors, then the equation has no solution or infinite solutions.