Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve any equation!

1. May 14, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, shame, I thought it might be one that explain how problems are solved. There are lots of solver programs out there that do this kind of thing, some with a vast array of other things they can do.

At higher level mathematics 'solving equations' generally isn't that interesting and certainly not the trivial ones this can only do.

Oh, won't even give me a numerical answer for something like:

x^2 - 40 = e^x

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  4. May 15, 2006 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Oh, I dunno, it's fairly good for what it does. Together with the online integrator, I think we have a good set of tools to minimse the effort we spend on problems.

5. May 15, 2006 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What about matlab? I had the impression that this tool could solve quite a few type of equations.

6. May 15, 2006 #5

J77

Matlab's more numerical.

The above link looks like it uses Mathematica - this and Maple are both pretty good at solving algebraic equations.

Of course, the complete packages will always be better than the online intgrator and this tool, but they are much more expensive :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?