1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Arsin(-1/2)

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sin-1 (-1/2) = -pi/6

3. The attempt at a solution

I was wondering why.
    Compare to cos-1(-sqrt(2)/2) = 3pi/4, this is done by pi/4 + pi/2

since cos is negative in Q2 AND Q3, this statement is valid, and the arcos is within -pi/2 and pi/2, so my answer is valid. well, i guess?

now, back to the problem with sin-1(-1/2)
    how is it -pi/6? i know Q2 and Q2 are negative sin....

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: arsin(-1/2)

The sine and cosine functions aren't 1-to-1, so don't have inverses. For example, sin(pi/6) = sin(5pi/6) = 1/2. So sine maps multiple inputs to 1/2. An inverse would map 1/2 to multiple values, which is enough to say that the inverse is not a function.

What is done to work around this problem is to restrict the domains of the trig functions to make them 1-to-1. The principal domain for sin is taken to be [-pi/2, pi.2]. The version of the sine function with restricted domain is sometimes represented as Sin(x), where Sin(x) = sin(x), -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2.

The same sort of thing is done for the cosine function, with Cos(x) = cos(x), 0 <= x <= pi.

As for your question about sin-1(-1/2), we have sin(-pi/6) = -1/2, so sin-1(-1/2) = -pi/6. The sine function is negative in Q3 and Q4 (not Q2 and Q2 as you stated). -pi/6 is in the restricted domain for Sin(x), hence in the range for sin-1(x).

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3

Hi Mark, thank you very much for your help.
    It is clear to me that I need to restrict the domain. What is not clear to me is -pi/6.

Before I worked on these problems, I created a table which has angles of sin, cos, and tan, from zero to pi/2. (0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2).

For sec, csc and cot I know how to produce them as well.

So when I was given this problem, cos-1(-sqrt(2)/2), I looked up at the table, I see that cos(pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2.
    Since the domain of cos is restricted to [0, pi], so that I must added 90degree (pi/2) in order to get the next value of sqrt(2)/2. That is, moving to Q2. So I got cos-1(-sqrt(2)/2) = 3pi/4.

Back to the problem of sin-1(-1/2).
    Since the domain of sin is [-pi/2, pi/2], and that sin(pi/6) = 1/2, and sin is negative only at Q3 and Q4, but in Q3, 7pi/6 is already out of the domain, and I realize I cannot find it using the method I did with cos...

I meant I did not know how -pi/6 was produced (although it may seem straightforward that we negate pi/6, and still within the domain...), but I want to know a way that can help me solve it....

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

Mark44

That's not what happens. Adding pi/2 works in this case, but not in general. What's really going on is subtracting the angle from 180 degrees. Here the identity is cos(pi - x) = -cos(x). You can use this idea to help you understand why cos-1(-1/2) = 2pi/3.

cos(pi/3) = 1/2, cos(pi - pi/3) = cos(2pi/3) = -1/2

So cos-1(1/2) = pi/3, and cos-1(-1/2) = 2pi/3.

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5

Hi Mark. Thank you for your patient.
    May I ask where can i get this identity?
    I don't remember this identity at all.
    I am interested in getting other identity for sin and tan (and maybe sec, cot, csc, which i think i can get it by using, eg, sec = 1/cos, use cos identity, and then take its reciprocal)

7. Apr 5, 2010 #6

Mark44

8. Apr 5, 2010 #7

Hi, thank you.
    After working through examples, here is a trend.
    For sin-1, tan-1, and cot-1, if we restrict its domain to one section, i will just negate the positive.
    eg. sin(-1/2) in the domain of -pi/2, pi/2, i will negate the original pi/6 to -pi/6

for cos, sec it follows the identity that pi-delta

9. Apr 6, 2010 #8

Mark44

I know what you mean to say, but you're not writing what you mean. sin-1(-1/2) = -pi/2.

The sine function is odd, which means that sin(-x) = -sin(x). Restricting the domain to [-pi/2, pi/2] doesn't change this.

For Sin(x), the domain is [-pi/2, pi/2] and the range is [-1, 1].
    For sin-1(x) (AKA arcsin(x)), the domain is [-1, 1], and the range is [-pi/2, pi/2]

For Cos(x), the domain is [0, pi] and the range is [-1, 1].
    For cos-1(x) (AKA arccos(x)), the domain is [-1, 1], and the range is [0, pi]

For Tan(x), the domain is (-pi/2, pi/2) and the range is (-inf, inf).
    For tan-1(x) (AKA arctan(x)), the domain is (-inf, inf), and the range is (-pi/2, pi/2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook