1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve binomial distribution

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1
    Hi!

Does someone know how to solve this equation (see the link) if all variables are known without P_U (without using a computer program)?

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section2/gifs/pueq.gif

Can it be done in some easy way? I have read courses in calculus at the university, altough it was several years ago :(

regards
    swede

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is a general closed-form solution. You can easily see that this is a N-th order polynomial in P_U. So there will only be a closed form solution up to N=4. For N=4 (or less) I would recommend simply expanding it and plugging it in to the quadratic equation or its equivalent.

-Dale

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When N is large, the sum has a maximum at N = p (use Stirling's approximation to see this) and you can approximate the sum with a gaussian function. This will allow you to find approximate solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?