Solve cos2xsinx=1: Simplifying and Finding X

• Thread starter CutiePieYum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying and solving for x in the equation cos2xsinx=1. The conversation includes mentioning the triples and doubles, graphing cos(2x) and sin(x), and finding the real root of a cubic equation.
CutiePieYum

Homework Statement

Simplify AND Solve for X
cos2xsinx=1

Homework Equations

The triples, doubles

The Attempt at a Solution

cos2xsinx=1
(cos^2x-sin^2x)(sinx)=1
(-1x)(sinx)=1
-sinx=1
sinx= -1
?

:-/

Help.. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

The maximum absolute value of cos(2x) and sin(x) is 1. So the only way you can solve that is if cos(2x)=1 AND sin(x)=1 or cos(2x)=(-1) AND sin(x)=(-1). Is either of those possible? If so which one?

I have no idea may i have another clue

anyone?

CutiePieYum said:
I have no idea may i have another clue

Graph cos(2x) and sin(x) on [0,2pi]. Or do this cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)=1-2*sin^2(x). So you have (1-2*sin^2(x))*sin(x)=1. If sin(x)=u then you have (1-2*u^2)*u=1. That's a cubic equation for u. Can you find the real root?

Last edited:

1. How do I simplify cos2xsinx=1?

To simplify this equation, we can use the double angle formula for cosine, which states that cos2x=cos^2x-sin^2x. Therefore, the equation can be rewritten as (cos^2x-sin^2x)sinx=1. We can then use the Pythagorean identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1 to simplify further. This results in cosx(sin^2x-cos^2x)=1. We can then use the identity cos^2x=1-sin^2x to simplify even further, resulting in cosx(1-2sin^2x)=1. This simplifies to 2sin^2x-cosx=1.

2. How do I solve for x in cos2xsinx=1?

To solve for x, we need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. From the previous simplification, we have 2sin^2x-cosx=1. We can then use the quadratic formula to solve for sinx. This results in sinx=(1±√5)/4. Since the range of sine is between -1 and 1, the only possible solution is sinx=(1+√5)/4. We can then use inverse sine to find the value of x, which is approximately 0.955 radians or 54.74 degrees.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve cos2xsinx=1?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. You can use the inverse sine function to find the value of sinx, and then use the double angle formula for cosine to find the value of cosx. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact solutions and may round the values, so it is important to double check your answer using the given equation.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in cos2xsinx=1?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since we used the quadratic formula to solve for sinx, we can see that there is a ± sign, which means there are two possible solutions. However, the range of sine is between -1 and 1, so the only possible solution is when sinx=(1+√5)/4. Therefore, the restrictions on x are that it must be within the domain of the inverse sine function, which is between -1 and 1.

5. Can I use this equation for practical applications?

Yes, this equation can be used in various practical applications, such as in physics and engineering. It can be used to solve for unknown angles in trigonometric problems or to find the optimal angle for certain physical systems. It is also commonly used in signal processing and in the study of periodic phenomena.