How to Solve Differential Equations for Homework?

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving differentiating and integrating a function with variables x and y. The question is initially confusing because x is used as the variable for y. The solution involves using the formula dy/dx = f(x)g(y) and integrating to find the value of x. The final correct solution is x=e^(2t^2+4c).
pat666

Homework Statement

see attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 7a) I can do but 7b I am not sure how to start.
I think x with a dot means differential with respect to time? need some help starting.

Thanks

Attachments

• math de.png
    math de.png
    7 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, x dot=dx/dt. It's separable.

Thanks Dick,
this question is confusing because x is y. anyway I have
x=sqrt(4t^2+8C)?THANKS

pat666 said:
Thanks Dick,
this question is confusing because x is y. anyway I have
x=sqrt(4t^2+8C)?THANKS

That's not what I get from dx/dt=4*x*t. Can you explain how you got it?

from text:
dy/dx=f(x)g(y)
then int(1/g(y) .dy = int(f(x).dx int is integral
f(t)=t
g(x)=4x
then int(1/4x.dx)=int(t.dt)
x^2/8=t^2/2+C

so x=sqrt(4t^2+8C)

like I said this question is really confusing me because x is where y normally is.

int(1/(4x)*dx)=int(t*dt) is good. The right side is t^2/2+C. That's also good. But, the left side isn't x^2/8. Don't you get a log? int((1/x)*dx) is log(x) in my book.

Yes you do, my bad. so it should be ln(x)/4=t^2/2+C
so x=e^(2t^2+4c)??

pat666 said:
Yes you do, my bad. so it should be ln(x)/4=t^2/2+C
so x=e^(2t^2+4c)??

That looks much better.

Sweet, THANKS

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations allow us to understand and predict how systems change over time. They are essential for making accurate predictions and optimizing processes in various fields, including physics, biology, and economics.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type of equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms. It is also possible to use numerical methods to approximate solutions.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs describe the behavior of one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used to model multi-dimensional systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential equations?

Yes, differential equations have numerous real-world applications. They are used in physics to model motion and describe the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, they are used to design and optimize control systems. They are also used in biology to model population growth and in economics to predict market trends.