Integrating e^(-x^2) to Solve for √(π/2)

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: For example, if you integrate the function f(x,y) over the interval [a,b] and the function g(x) over the interval [c,d], you will get two different results, depending on where the limits of integration are placed. But in general, if you can write the integral in the form \int f(x,y)dxdy= \int_a^b g(x)dx+\int_c^d h(y)dy, then you can usually evaluate it by integrating over the entire range of interest.In summary, the professor was trying to show us how to solve a double integral using the Fubini's theorem. However, the theorem only
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

On the next exam I'm supposed to show that ∫e^(-x^2)dx = √(π/2).

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

When the professor was showing us one way to do it, I remember him doing a step that was like

∫e^(-x^2)dx ∫e^(-x^2)dx = ∫∫e^(-x^2 - y^2) dx dy.

Is that legal? I never knew ∫f(x)dx ∫g(y)dy = ∫∫f(x)g(y) dx dy.

Physics news on Phys.org

LeonhardEuler said:
Yes, it's called Fubini's theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubini's_theorem
(See the corollary where f(x,y)=g(x)h(y))
There are some conditions on when it can be used, you can read about it on the wiki article.

Why was never told this before? Many of my previous classes would've been easier if I could solve a double integral by just splitting it into two easier single integrals.

Jamin2112 said:
Why was never told this before? Many of my previous classes would've been easier if I could solve a double integral by just splitting it into two easier single integrals.

The normal way of evaluating integrals in dimensions 2 and higher basically is this method, though it isn't usually presented using this theorem at first from what I remember.

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

On the next exam I'm supposed to show that ∫e^(-x^2)dx = √(π/2).

Pay attention, you need to have a definite integral, with integration limits. The common integration limits for the Gauss bell are 0 and +infinity.

Jamin2112 said:
That certainly is in any Calculus text I have ever seen. I can't speak for your class but every introduction to multiple integration class I have ever seen (and I have seen many) starts from the fact that if f(x,y)= g(x)h(y) and the area of integration is the rectangle [itex]a\le x\le b[/itex], [itex]c\le y\le d[/itex], then
[tex]\int f(x,y)dxdy= \left(\int_a^b g(x)dx\right)\left(\int_c^d h(y)dy\right)[/tex].

Of course, NOT every integral can be separated like that.

1. What is the purpose of integrating e^(-x^2) to solve for √(π/2)?

The purpose of integrating e^(-x^2) to solve for √(π/2) is to find the area under the curve of the Gaussian function, which is represented by e^(-x^2). This area is equal to √(π/2) and can be calculated by using integration techniques.

2. What is the significance of e^(-x^2) in this integration process?

The function e^(-x^2) is significant because it is the probability density function of the standard normal distribution. By integrating this function, we can find the area under the curve, which represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.

3. How is the integration of e^(-x^2) related to solving for √(π/2)?

The integration of e^(-x^2) can be used to solve for √(π/2) because the integral of this function over the range of -∞ to +∞ is equal to √(π/2). Therefore, by solving the integral, we can find the value of √(π/2).

4. What are the common techniques used to integrate e^(-x^2) for solving for √(π/2)?

The most common techniques used to integrate e^(-x^2) are substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques can be applied to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve for √(π/2).

5. Can the integration of e^(-x^2) to solve for √(π/2) be applied to other problems or equations?

Yes, the integration of e^(-x^2) can be applied to other problems or equations, especially those involving the standard normal distribution. This process is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering to calculate probabilities and solve for unknown variables.