1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve equation with unknown x

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to solve the following equation:
    Screenshot_1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that since the right side is 1 and on the left side i have i (imaginary number) it means that i could rewrite right side as cos0 + isin0 since it's the same, but what can i do with left side, it obviously can't stay like this because of the product, i have to get rid of it, i just don't have an idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you get when you replace the factors in the product using Euler's formula?

4. Nov 2, 2015 #3
    As far as i know, we have Пekx (П is from 1 to n) which is equal to:

ex*e2x*...*enx or

e(1+2+...+n)x. Now, i am not 100% sure, but i believe is should represent 1+2+...+n as n(n+1)/2 and go back to the trigonometric form of number, and then simply find x since i know exact value of angle for the right side. Am i correct?

5. Nov 2, 2015 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You forgot the ##i## in your exponent, as Euler's formula is ##cos(y)+isin(y)=e^{iy}##.
    You are correct about ##\sum_{k=1}^n k =n(n+1)/2##.
    As the product is equal to ##1##, you can now indeed solve for x by applying Euler's formula again: the cosine of your exponent (not including the ##i##) must be ##1##.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. Nov 2, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

How many solutions do you need? Just one, all of them for a fixed n, or all of them for any n?
    ##e^{iy} = 1 ## is true for an infinite number of periodic terms.
    For a large w, ##e^{iwy} ## will have a much shorter period. Your w might get quite large as n grows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted