How can Newton's method be used to solve exponential equations iteratively?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving y=e^{ax}+e^{bx} for x and finding an appropriate algorithm or approach. The suggestion of using Newton Raphson root-finding method is given and the person trying it previously shares that it worked once they paid more attention to the numbers.
Gin
Hi. I've been mulling over the problem of how to solve [tex] y=e^{ax}+e^{bx}[/tex] for x. I know it can't be solved numerically and have been trying to think of a way to solve it iteratively. The problem is, I can only find algorithms for polynomials and they don't seem to work for exponential problems. I'd rather not have to make an approximation for the exponential and was hoping someone might know an appropriate algorithm or have another means of approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Newton Raphson root-finding method

x(n+1)=x(n)-f[x(n)]/f'[x(n)]

where f(x)=e^ax+e^bx-y

Hey thanks for that. I had tried Newton's method, but silly me messed up some simple numbers. :redface: I tried again and paid more attention and it worked. For some reason I thought that Newton's method wouldn't work for an exponential.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. It is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in value as x increases or decreases.

2. How can an exponential function be solved iteratively?

An exponential function can be solved iteratively by using a repeated multiplication process. This involves starting with the initial value and repeatedly multiplying it by the base value, depending on the number of iterations required.

3. What is the purpose of solving an exponential function iteratively?

The purpose of solving an exponential function iteratively is to find the value of the function at a particular point or to approximate the value of the function at a given number of iterations. This can be useful in analyzing and predicting exponential growth or decay in various systems.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving exponential functions iteratively?

Solving exponential functions iteratively can be applied in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest, model population growth, and predict radioactive decay.

5. Is there a limit to how many iterations can be used to solve an exponential function iteratively?

The number of iterations used to solve an exponential function iteratively can vary depending on the precision required and the limitations of the computing system. In general, the more iterations used, the more accurate the result will be.