Finding F'(x) for Square Root of x

In summary, the derivative of F(x) = square root of x is F'(x) = 1/(2 square root of x). This is derived from the general equation \frac{d}{dx}(x^n)=nx^{n-1}.
MattsAli1108

Homework Statement

F(x)= square root of x

what would F'(x)=?
(F prime of x)

Homework Equations

F(x)= 3x^2
F'(x)=6x

F(x)= x^3
F'(x)=3x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue. If the variable is a square root, it wouldn't have an exponent, right?
confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MattsAli1108 said:

Homework Statement

F(x)= square root of x

what would F'(x)=?
(F prime of x)

Homework Equations

F(x)= 3x^2
F'(x)=6x

F(x)= x^3
F'(x)=3x^2
The general equation you're after is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^n)=nx^{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue. If the variable is a square root, it wouldn't have an exponent, right?
confused.

Have you not come across fractional powers? i.e. the nth root of x is denoted x1/n?

I have, just failed to make the connection. Calculus is not my strong point. Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is the derivative of the square root function?

The derivative of the square root function, also known as the radical function, is 1/2 times the original function raised to the power of -1/2. In other words, the derivative of √x is 1/(2√x).

2. How do I find the derivative of the square root function using the power rule?

To find the derivative of the square root function using the power rule, you can rewrite the function as x^(1/2) and then apply the power rule. This results in 1/2 times x^(1/2 - 1), which simplifies to 1/(2√x).

3. Can the chain rule be used to find the derivative of the square root function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to find the derivative of the square root function. When using the chain rule, you would first rewrite the function as (x)^(1/2) and then apply the chain rule formula, which results in 1/(2√x).

4. How do I find the derivative of the square root function using the quotient rule?

The quotient rule can also be used to find the derivative of the square root function. To do this, you would first rewrite the function as √x/x, and then apply the quotient rule formula which is (f'(x)g(x) - g'(x)f(x))/[g(x)]^2. This results in 1/(2x^(3/2)).

5. Are there any special considerations when finding the derivative of the square root function?

Yes, there are a few special considerations to keep in mind when finding the derivative of the square root function. These include using the chain rule or quotient rule, being careful with negative values of x, and understanding the domain and range of the square root function. It is also important to remember that the derivative of √x is not defined at x = 0.