Solve a, b, c: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter uzman1243
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question with a possible typo that requires solving for three equations with three unknowns. The question also involves a specified value of x that is not equal to -2 or 4. The summary also mentions that it is recommended to type out work rather than include handwritten attachments.
uzman1243

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=71104&stc=1&d=1404655008.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=71103&stc=1&d=1404655008.jpg

What do I do from here?

Attachments

• IMAG2764.jpg
    IMAG2764.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
think there is a typo in the question. Where it says "f(x) = 0", x should be a number, the same as in f(4) = 0 and f(-2) = -6.

You did the right thing setting up two equations in a, b, and c. If the question was printed correctly you would be able to get three equations.

If f(x) = 0 for every value of x, then a = b = c = 0, but that doesn't make any sense when the question says f(-2) = -6.

AlephZero said:
think there is a typo in the question. Where it says "f(x) = 0", x should be a number, the same as in f(4) = 0 and f(-2) = -6.

You did the right thing setting up two equations in a, b, and c. If the question was printed correctly you would be able to get three equations.

If f(x) = 0 for every value of x, then a = b = c = 0, but that doesn't make any sense when the question says f(-2) = -6.

I suspect it means that ##f(x_0) = 0## for some specified value of ##x_0## with ##x_0 \neq -2,4##. Then you would, indeed, have three (linear) equations in the three unknowns a,b,c, and you ought to be able to write the solution.

I never read photo attachments of handwritten work, so I will not comment on your efforts. (PF standards actually say you should type out stuff except for unusual circumstances, such as including diagrams from books or whatever.)

1. What is the purpose of solving for a, b, and c?

Solving for a, b, and c is a fundamental step in many mathematical equations and problems. It allows us to find the values of these variables and use them to solve for other unknown quantities or to understand the relationships between them.

2. What are the steps involved in solving for a, b, and c?

The steps involved in solving for a, b, and c may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally, they involve identifying the equation or problem, isolating the variables, and using mathematical operations to find their values. It is important to follow a systematic approach and double-check the calculations to ensure accuracy.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve for a, b, and c?

Some common techniques used to solve for a, b, and c include substitution, elimination, and graphing. Substitution involves replacing one variable with an equivalent expression to simplify the equation. Elimination involves canceling out one variable by adding or subtracting equations. Graphing involves plotting the equations and finding the points of intersection.

4. Can you provide an example of solving for a, b, and c?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 2a + 4b = 12. To solve for a, we can first isolate the variable by subtracting 4b from both sides, giving us 2a = 12 - 4b. Then, we can divide both sides by 2 to get a = (12 - 4b)/2. Similarly, to solve for b, we can first isolate the variable by subtracting 2a from both sides, giving us 4b = 12 - 2a. Then, we can divide both sides by 4 to get b = (12 - 2a)/4.

5. How can I check if my solution for a, b, and c is correct?

To check if your solution for a, b, and c is correct, you can plug the values back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. For example, if we solved for a and b in the previous example and got a = 3 and b = 1, we can plug these values into the equation 2a + 4b = 12 and see if it equals 12. If it does, then our solution is correct.