• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solve for a, b and c

• Thread starter uzman1243
  • Start date

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=71104&stc=1&d=1404655008.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=71103&stc=1&d=1404655008.jpg

What do I do from here?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
think there is a typo in the question. Where it says "f(x) = 0", x should be a number, the same as in f(4) = 0 and f(-2) = -6.

You did the right thing setting up two equations in a, b, and c. If the question was printed correctly you would be able to get three equations.

If f(x) = 0 for every value of x, then a = b = c = 0, but that doesn't make any sense when the question says f(-2) = -6.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
think there is a typo in the question. Where it says "f(x) = 0", x should be a number, the same as in f(4) = 0 and f(-2) = -6.

You did the right thing setting up two equations in a, b, and c. If the question was printed correctly you would be able to get three equations.

If f(x) = 0 for every value of x, then a = b = c = 0, but that doesn't make any sense when the question says f(-2) = -6.
I suspect it means that ##f(x_0) = 0## for some specified value of ##x_0## with ##x_0 \neq -2,4##. Then you would, indeed, have three (linear) equations in the three unknowns a,b,c, and you ought to be able to write the solution.

I never read photo attachments of handwritten work, so I will not comment on your efforts. (PF standards actually say you should type out stuff except for unusual circumstances, such as including diagrams from books or whatever.)