1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for a, b and c

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

attachment.php?attachmentid=71104&stc=1&d=1404655008.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    attachment.php?attachmentid=71103&stc=1&d=1404655008.jpg

What do I do from here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

think there is a typo in the question. Where it says "f(x) = 0", x should be a number, the same as in f(4) = 0 and f(-2) = -6.

You did the right thing setting up two equations in a, b, and c. If the question was printed correctly you would be able to get three equations.

If f(x) = 0 for every value of x, then a = b = c = 0, but that doesn't make any sense when the question says f(-2) = -6.

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect it means that ##f(x_0) = 0## for some specified value of ##x_0## with ##x_0 \neq -2,4##. Then you would, indeed, have three (linear) equations in the three unknowns a,b,c, and you ought to be able to write the solution.

I never read photo attachments of handwritten work, so I will not comment on your efforts. (PF standards actually say you should type out stuff except for unusual circumstances, such as including diagrams from books or whatever.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted