Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for a

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    I got this equation -

x = ay - (a^2)z

Solve for a...and apart from the factorization method, is there any other way?...cause the constants x, y, z are very complex formulas.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to solve for a or x (the thread title says a, your post says x). If you're solving for x, you just did it... if you're solving for a, just use the quadratic formula. Maybe I'm missing something

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    Extremely sorry about that...gotta solve for a

Actually x, y, z are very complex (as said) so the quadratic method...I think will not work.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The quadratic formula will always "work". It will just be a very complex solution if x, y, and z are. But no other method is certain to work- and if it did would have to give the same, complex, solution.

6. Feb 7, 2009 #5
    humm...ok then, can anyone pls solve it in the quadratic way?...cause we have completely distinct variables...x, y and z.

Then I'll replace the values after the solution.

7. Feb 7, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have za2 - ya + x = 0. So the quadratic formula is:

[tex] a = \frac{y +/- \sqrt{y^2-4xz}}{2z}[/tex]

8. Feb 7, 2009 #7
    Oh yes...I remember...the name of the formula I forgot though...it was somone's name right?...starting with s.

Anyway...thanks man!

Not done maths for a long time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook