Solve HCP Packing C/A Ratio: Geometry & 1.67 Explained

• Thread starter benndamann33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the c/a ratio is 1.67 when the packing is in the middle plane between the top and bottom layers. The geometry to use to find this ratio is unclear from the picture you provided, but the symmetry argument provides a solution.
benndamann33
I'm trying to solve for the ideal c/a ratio of hcp packing. why doesn't c/2 =a/2, looks like they pass through the same amoutn of radius's so I'm not sure the geometry to use. Used this pic http://www.engr.ku.edu/~rhale/ae510/lecture2/sld013.htm but it is more confusing to me how 1.67 comes out. Help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the middle picture in the link you provided.

In the c-direction, there is an extra layer of atoms (triangle) between the top and bottom layers (hexagonal). The a-length is the side of the hexagon, but also the distance among adjacent atoms in the 'basal' plane. The dimension 'a' is in the closest-packing direction. The packing is less efficient in the c-direction.

I understand what you're saying about the picutre now, but I don't understand what you're using to compare C and A. I know where a is and i know where c is but i don't know the other length of triangle built between them, so i'ts unclear to me as to what the link is between their length
Ben

It's not obvious.

The trick is in realizing that the middle plane of atoms occupy positions directly above the centroids of the triangles in the base plane. This follows directly from a symmetry argument.

1. Each basal plane has nearest neighbor atoms making equilateral triangles. So, a=2R (where R is the sphere radius).

2. Each atom at height c/2 above the basal plane is positioned directly above the centroid of the triangles in the base plane. For an equilatreral triangle, the distance from a vertex to the centroid is two-thirds the length of the median, and is hence [itex](2/3)*(a\sqrt{3}/2) = a/\sqrt{3} [/itex].

3. Each atom in the base plane has a nearest neighbor in this middle plane. So, the distance from the corner atom in the base plane to the nearby atom in the mid-plane is 2R.

4. This distance can also be calculated from Pythagoras, giving:
[tex]4R^2 = a^2 = (a/\sqrt{3})^2 + (c/2)^2[/tex]

That should get you home.

thank you I was feeling like an idiot that I couldn't girue this out, I'm glad it doesn't appear to really be a trivial process. I appreciate the help,
Ben

What is the definition of C/A ratio in HCP packing?

The C/A ratio in HCP packing refers to the ratio of the height of the hexagonal unit cell to the length of its side. This ratio plays an important role in determining the geometry and packing efficiency of HCP structures.

How is the C/A ratio calculated in HCP packing?

The C/A ratio in HCP packing can be calculated by dividing the height of the hexagonal unit cell (c) by the length of its side (a). This can also be expressed as the ratio of the height of the hexagonal unit cell to the radius of the largest sphere that can fit inside the unit cell.

What is the ideal C/A ratio for maximum packing efficiency in HCP structures?

The ideal C/A ratio for maximum packing efficiency in HCP structures is 1.633, also known as the Kepler triangle packing ratio. However, in real-world situations, the C/A ratio may deviate from this value due to factors such as imperfections in the crystal lattice or the presence of impurities.

How does the C/A ratio affect the geometry of HCP structures?

The C/A ratio has a significant impact on the geometry of HCP structures. A higher C/A ratio results in a more elongated hexagonal unit cell, while a lower C/A ratio leads to a more flattened unit cell. This affects the overall shape and symmetry of the HCP structure.

What is the significance of the C/A ratio in HCP structures?

The C/A ratio is an important parameter in HCP structures as it influences the packing efficiency, mechanical properties, and stability of these structures. It also helps in understanding the relationship between lattice parameters and atomic arrangement in HCP materials.