Solve for r - inequality

• Thread starter rsaad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
This will help you visualize the solutions. Since we are looking for values of r that make the absolute value less than 1, we know that the graph will be within a distance of 1 from the x-axis. This means that we can solve the system of inequalities:$$\begin{cases} r - (1+ √5) > -1 \\ r - (1 - √5) < 1 \end{cases}$$Solving for r in each inequality, we get:$$\begin{cases} r > 1 + √5 \\ r < 2 - √5 \end{cases}$$Combining these solutions, we get the final answer:In summary, the solution
rsaad

Homework Statement

|4 + 2r - r^2| <1

Homework Equations

4 + 2r - r^2 = (r - (1+ √5) ) (r - (1 - √5))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the roots but no use. How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you have to take away the absolute value... this means that you have to solve a system of inequalities.
Indeed if the quantity in the abs val is negative, then you will have to change sign, and if it is positive you can take away the abs val without problems.

As an example, in general when you want to solve ##|x|<a## you do the following:
solve
$$ \begin{cases} x\geq 0 \\ x<a \end{cases} $$
Then solve
$$ \begin{cases} x<0 \\ -x<a \end{cases} $$
(this because in case x is negative then you can take away the abs val but you have to change sign)
When done, just combine the solutions and you are done

rsaad said:

Homework Statement

|4 + 2r - r^2| <1

Homework Equations

4 + 2r - r^2 = (r - (1+ √5) ) (r - (1 - √5))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the roots but no use. How should I proceed?

Start by drawing a graph of the function f(r) = 4 + 2r - r^2.

What is the meaning of "r" in the equation?

In this equation, "r" represents the variable that we are trying to solve for. It could represent any unknown value that is part of an inequality.

How do I solve for "r" in an inequality?

To solve for "r" in an inequality, you need to isolate it on one side of the inequality sign using algebraic operations. This involves following the same rules as solving for "r" in an equation, with the additional consideration of the inequality sign.

What are the steps to solve for "r" in an inequality?

The steps to solve for "r" in an inequality are:1. Simplify both sides of the inequality as much as possible by combining like terms.2. Use algebraic operations to isolate "r" on one side of the inequality sign.3. If you need to multiply or divide by a negative number to isolate "r", remember to flip the direction of the inequality sign.4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

What do the symbols <, >, ≤, and ≥ mean in an inequality?

These symbols are used to compare two values in an inequality. - < means "less than"- > means "greater than"- ≤ means "less than or equal to"- ≥ means "greater than or equal to"

Can I solve for "r" in an inequality with more than one variable?

Yes, it is possible to solve for "r" in an inequality with more than one variable. However, the approach may be different and may involve using substitution or elimination methods to reduce the number of variables in the inequality before solving for "r".