1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for Tension

Tags:
  1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it possible to solve for the magnitude of tension without using the mass of the object? : You use a string to suspend a cork ball with a mass of 22g from the ceiling of a moving speedboat. The ball and the string hang at an angle of 32.5degrees from the vertical. The acceleration of the speedboat is 6.2m/s^2. Determine the magnitude of tension in the string. Do you need to know the mass of the ball to make this calculation? Why or why not?

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=ma, (Fnet)x=ma=(Ft)x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved this using the mass, but could not solve without using the mass. To solve, I just did

Fnetx=ma
    ma=Ftx
    ma=Ftsin32.5

I just subbed in m and a after that and solved for Ft. I got the right answer, which is 0.26N.

I wrote that you need the mass in order to solve for FT in this case.

Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2
    Does the question ask "Do you need to know the mass of the ball," or does it ask "Do you need to know the acceleration of the ball"?

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
    Do you need the mass?

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted