Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for the potential

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    I am trying to solve the following problem:

Consider the configuration of a conducting sphere of radius R held at potential V, and a conducting wire radially positioned with respect to the sphere with one end at R1>R, and the other end at R2>R1. What is the potential everywhere?

I chalked down a quick solution but I don't believe my answer. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This certainly seems like a homework-type question (even if it is not actual homework), so I think you should get a mod to move it to the homework subforums and post your attempt at a solution.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    Not a homework question. As a matter of fact, never seen such type of E&M questions in standard books. I suspect that the wire presents some sort of singularity in the solution that is a bit tricky to handle, at least I can't see a standard solution applying here. However, if I'm wrong and there is a trivial solution, even better if this is indeed a homework question somewhere, I'd like a link or something of the sort.

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still seems like a homework-type question to me. In any case, you said in your first post that you "chalked down a quick solution" but aren't confident in your answer - why not post that solution (or the main points of it) so we can critique it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook