Solve for x using basic algebraic equations: 2x-x^2=3

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Equations: -2x-x^2=3do i go -x^2=3-2xthats not right i can tell but i got a warning for not showing work and for this question again i don't know where to start but maybe if i throw a guess in this will satisfy the guy who watches for this.actually this is too much of a hassle since I am doing so many questions in such a short time period i will be back in another week when i start my actual math course sorry mark I am just stressed over doing 8 hours of math everyday.make the equation = 0then either use the quadratic formula
davie08

Homework Statement

solve for x: 2x-x^2=3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2x-x^2=3

do i go -x^2=3-2x

thats not right i can tell but i got a warning for not showing work and for this question again i don't know where to start but maybe if i throw a guess in this will satisfy the guy who watches for this.

actually this is too much of a hassle since I am doing so many questions in such a short time period i will be back in another week when i start my actual math course sorry mark I am just stressed over doing 8 hours of math everyday.

Physics news on Phys.org
make the equation = 0
then either use the quadratic formula or factorising to solve for x

davie08 said:

Homework Statement

solve for x: 2x-x^2=3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2x-x^2=3

do i go -x^2=3-2x

thats not right i can tell but i got a warning for not showing work and for this question again i don't know where to start but maybe if i throw a guess in this will satisfy the guy who watches for this.

actually this is too much of a hassle since I am doing so many questions in such a short time period i will be back in another week when i start my actual math course sorry mark I am just stressed over doing 8 hours of math everyday.

Move all of the terms over to one side, so that zero is on the other side. Starting from your first equation,

2x-x^2=3

rewrite this as
-x^2 + 2x - 3 = 0

You can make the x^2 coefficient positive by multiplying both sides by -1.

okay I think I will just learn the quad formula for this so with making the x^2 positive would I make the 2x negative and the -3 positive.

I end up with a -8 in a square root when I use the quad formula what would I do from there or did I screw up somewhere.

yep there should be a negative number in the square root, which means there are no x solutions

ie. the graph of the function does not cross the x axis.

so no real solutions of course there are 'imaginery' solutions

could I use the quad. formula for a question like 0=125+27k^3

no the quardratic formula is for something to the power of 2 not 3 or more
there is a forumula for the power of 3 but it's quite complicated. It is easier to factor out something to end up with a power of 2.
in this case you can factor out 3x+5

for 0= 125+27k^3 would the answer be k=5/3

The formula for factoring the sum of cubes (a^3+b^3) is (a+b)(a^2-2ab+b^2)
so, (5+3k)(25-30k+9k^2)=0
so one solution is found by 5+3k=0
and another by 25-30k+9k^2=0

The simplest way to solve [itex]125- 27k^3= 0[/itex] is to write it as [itex]27k^3= 125[/itex], divide both sides by 27, and take the cube root of each side. As AracnNoir points out, there are two other solutions (the roots of his [itex]25- 30k+ 9k^2= 0[/tex] but they are both complex numbers.

Yes, [itex]125= 5^3[/itex] and [itex]27= 3^3[/itex] so 5/3 is an answer. You could have checked that yourself- if x= 5/3, then [itex]x^3= 5^3/3^3= 125/27[/itex] so 27x^3= 27(125/27)= 125.

What is the equation to solve for x in "2x-x^2=3"?

The equation is 2x-x^2=3.

What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step is to rearrange the equation so that it is in standard form, which means putting the terms in descending order of exponents. In this case, it would be -x^2+2x=3.

What is the next step after rearranging the equation?

The next step is to factor out the greatest common factor, which in this case is -1, giving us -1(x^2-2x)=3.

How do I continue solving the equation after factoring?

After factoring, set each factor equal to 0 and solve for x. In this case, we would have x^2-2x=0 and 3=0. The second equation has no real solutions, so we can ignore it. To solve the first equation, we can use the quadratic formula or factor it again into (x-2)(x)=0 and solve for x.

What are the solutions to this equation?

The solutions are x=0 and x=2.