Solve Algebraically: (x+1)^y = a and x^y = b

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to solve a set of equations algebraically. The equations are (x+1)^y = a and x^y = b, and the participants discuss different approaches and possible solutions. They also mention that any x will not satisfy the equations and provide alternative equations to consider.
murshid_islam
is there any way to solve the following set of equations algebraically

[tex](x+1)^y = a[/tex]

[tex]x^y = b[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes there is...now you try it, and tell us how far you get

cough. how many more you have there?

i take back what i said...what on Earth is that equation :)

Hmmm... it appears that if there is such y that [tex]b^(1/y) = a^(1/y) - 1[/tex], any x will satisfy these equations?

whatta said:
Hmmm... it appears that if there is such y that [tex]b^(1/y) = a^(1/y) - 1[/tex], any x will satisfy these equations?
maybe you mean if there is such y that [tex]b^{\frac{1}{y}} = a^{\frac{1}{y}} - 1[/tex], any x will satisfy these equations?

then it also appears that if there is such x that [tex]\frac{\ln a}{\ln (x+1)} = \frac{\ln b}{\ln x}[/tex], any y will satisfy these equations.

whatta said:
cough. how many more you have there?
lol. i have no more. i got the equation in the thread you mention from
(x+1)y = 216
xy = 125

Last edited:
hmm. no it's me who takes back what I said. "any" x will not do.

What is algebraic solving?

Algebraic solving is the process of finding the values of variables in an equation or expression by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the difference between (x+1)^y and x^y?

The difference lies in the order of operations. In (x+1)^y, the addition of 1 is performed first and then the exponentiation. In x^y, the exponentiation is performed first.

How do I solve (x+1)^y = a for x?

To solve for x, you will need to use logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, with the base being the same on both sides. Then, use the power rule of logarithms to bring down the exponent y, and solve for x.

How do I solve x^y = b for y?

To solve for y, you will also need to use logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, with the base being the same on both sides. Then, use the power rule of logarithms to bring down the exponent x, and solve for y.

Can I solve (x+1)^y = a and x^y = b simultaneously?

Yes, you can solve these equations simultaneously by setting them equal to each other and using logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, with the base being the same on both sides. Then, use the power rule of logarithms to bring down the exponent y, and solve for x. You can then substitute this value for x into either original equation to solve for y.