Solving x/(.12 + x) = 1/3: A Simple Solution

• Thread starter degarza22
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of solving the equation x/(.12 + x) = 1/3 is to find the value of x that satisfies the given equation. This can help us understand the relationship between the variables and make predictions or solve related problems. To solve the equation, algebraic manipulation and properties of equality can be used to isolate the variable x. It is necessary to use algebra, but there are online tools or calculators that can assist with the calculations. Specific steps to follow include simplifying the equation, isolating x, and checking the solution. It is possible to use a different variable instead of x, but consistency is important to avoid confusion.
degarza22

Homework Statement

x/(.12 + x) =1/3

Homework Equations

x/(.12 + x) =1/3

The Attempt at a Solution

x/(.12 + x) = 1/3

I plugged .6 at x to give me. which gave me .6/(.12+.6) = .6/.18 = 1/3
so i know x =.6 but there got to be a simple way of doing this

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by multiplying both sides of the equation by the denominator (.12 + x).

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of solving the equation x/(.12 + x) = 1/3?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of x that satisfies the given equation. This will allow us to understand the relationship between the variables and make predictions or solve problems related to the equation.

2. How do I solve x/(.12 + x) = 1/3?

To solve this equation, we can use algebraic manipulation and properties of equality to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. Then, we can substitute the value of x back into the equation to check if it satisfies the equation.

3. Can I solve x/(.12 + x) = 1/3 without using algebra?

No, algebra is necessary to solve this equation. However, there are some online tools or calculators that can help you with the calculations.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when solving this equation?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when solving this equation. These include simplifying the equation, isolating the variable x, and checking the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.

5. Can I use a different variable instead of x in this equation?

Yes, you can use a different variable instead of x in this equation. However, it is important to be consistent and use the same variable throughout the equation to avoid confusion.