1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve For X

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    I tried to do this problem soo many times but cant even get close to the answer, I dont know what to do.

ok I know the LCD is (x+2)(x-2) and that x^(2)-4 is a perfect square that can be written as (x-2) (x+2)

But I cant get the solution it says x=3, 3/2

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2
    dear aisha

just make sure that the denominator is equal to x²-4 everywhere...
    then you can forget about it (ofcourse x can't be 2 or -2)

like this :

Then solve for x...

can you go on from here ???

4. Dec 8, 2004 #3

Homework Helper

If you multiply through by the LCD, you'll get:

(x/(x-2))(x-2)(x+2) + 2(x^2-4) = (5x/(x+2))(x-2)(x+2) + ((3x+1)/(x^2-4))(x+2)(x-2)

Simplifying gives you

x(x+2) + 2(x^2 - 4) = 5x(x-2) + (3x+1)

Multiply it out, collect similar terms, and you'll have a quadratic. That can be factored, or you can use the Quadratic Formula. Don't forget to distribute minus signs.

Does that help?
  5. Dec 8, 2004 #4
    YES THAT HELPS, BUT The quadratic formula I got after multiplied out and collected the like terms was -2x^(2)-x+1 and this factored out and x=-1/2 or x=-1 but the solutions were x=3, 3/2 am I wrong or is the solution wrong?
  6. Dec 8, 2004 #5

Homework Helper

I think you're off somewhere. The quadratic I ended up with was

2x^2 - 9x + 9 = 0

which has the "proper" solutions. It's probably a simple math error. Go back through it and check it.

Unsolicited advice: I have found that students often make those little errors because they're trying to go too fast. I know that the grunt work of algebra can be snore-inducing, but you need to take it slowly at first. Speed comes with experience, and experience is what you're lacking right now. You'll get there, though. All it takes is time. :) </mommy-mode>
  7. Dec 8, 2004 #6
    Thanks Diane I got it FINALLY :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?