1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve if you can

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Q.Find the no: of six letter words each consisting of three consonants and three vowels that can be formed using the letters of the word 'circumference'."
    If you have cracked it please tell me how you did it.

2. Relevant equations
    you have to be familiar with permutation and combination to solve it.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2
    i know nothing about probability so this is probably wrong.

<< post edited by berkeman to remove work done for the OP >>

also, if by luck my method is right there is one ambiguity. if your teacher doesn't want you to be limited by the number of times the vowel or consonant appears in the word. I assumed that he does want that limit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  4. Mar 23, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please don't do the OP's work for them.

novince -- you need to show us an attempt at a solution before we can offer tutorial help. How would you approach this problem?

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4
    Sorry :X. Does that mean I got it right? That would make me feel good - at least for a moment :P.

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5

berkeman

LOL. I didn't look closely at it, but it looked way too good to leave posted. :smile:

7. Mar 23, 2009 #6

berkeman

BTW, feel free to give a couple hints to get the OP going. Just not all that stuff in the middle of your post... Thanks.

8. Mar 23, 2009 #7
    Well, you know you have 8 consonants and 5 vowels in the word 'circumference'. You then need to pick 3 of the consonants and 3 of the vowels and arrange them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook