Solve 6 Letter Words: 3 Consonants & 3 Vowels from "Circumference

• Thread starter novince
  • Start date
Can you figure out how to do that?In summary, to find the number of six letter words consisting of three consonants and three vowels that can be formed using the letters of the word 'circumference', you need to be familiar with permutation and combination. The first step is to choose 3 out of the 8 consonants and 3 out of the 5 vowels, which can be done in a certain number of ways. Then, these chosen letters can be arranged in a certain number of ways to form the desired six letter words.
novince

Homework Statement

"Q.Find the no: of six letter words each consisting of three consonants and three vowels that can be formed using the letters of the word 'circumference'."
If you have cracked it please tell me how you did it.

Homework Equations

you have to be familiar with permutation and combination to solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
i know nothing about probability so this is probably wrong.

<< post edited by berkeman to remove work done for the OP >>

also, if by luck my method is right there is one ambiguity. if your teacher doesn't want you to be limited by the number of times the vowel or consonant appears in the word. I assumed that he does want that limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
xcvxcvvc said:
i know nothing about probability so this is probably wrong.

<< post edited by berkeman to remove work done for the OP >>

also, if by luck my method is right there is one ambiguity. if your teacher doesn't want you to be limited by the number of times the vowel or consonant appears in the word. I assumed that he does want that limit.

Please don't do the OP's work for them.

novince -- you need to show us an attempt at a solution before we can offer tutorial help. How would you approach this problem?

berkeman said:
Please don't do the OP's work for them.

novince -- you need to show us an attempt at a solution before we can offer tutorial help. How would you approach this problem?

Sorry :X. Does that mean I got it right? That would make me feel good - at least for a moment :P.

xcvxcvvc said:
Sorry :X. Does that mean I got it right? That would make me feel good - at least for a moment :P.

LOL. I didn't look closely at it, but it looked way too good to leave posted. :smile:

xcvxcvvc said:

BTW, feel free to give a couple hints to get the OP going. Just not all that stuff in the middle of your post... Thanks.

Well, you know you have 8 consonants and 5 vowels in the word 'circumference'. You then need to pick 3 of the consonants and 3 of the vowels and arrange them.

1. What is the definition of circumference?

The circumference is the distance around the edge of a circle or any other curved object.

2. How many letters are in the word "circumference"?

There are 12 letters in the word "circumference".

3. How many 6-letter words can be formed from the letters in "circumference"?

There are 4,374 possible 6-letter words that can be formed from the letters in "circumference".

4. Can you give an example of a 6-letter word with 3 consonants and 3 vowels from "circumference"?

An example of a 6-letter word with 3 consonants and 3 vowels from "circumference" is "cancer".

5. How do you solve for 6-letter words with 3 consonants and 3 vowels from "circumference"?

To solve for 6-letter words with 3 consonants and 3 vowels from "circumference", you can use a combination of the letters and rearrange them to form different words. It may also be helpful to use a word-finding tool or online anagram solver.