Solve Inequality Homework: A Hint Needed

• Thread starter cupcakes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, to prove the inequality, we can factor out a 2 from each of the even terms in the denominator and cancel out the odd terms up to 1005 in the numerator. This leaves us with the expression \frac{1}{2^{1006}}\frac{1007*1009*...*2009*2011}{2*4*...*1004*1006} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{2010}}. To continue, we can use the double factorial identities \frac{(2k-1)!}{(2k)!} = \frac{(2k)!}{2^k k!} and \frac{(2k)!}{2^
cupcakes

Homework Statement

To prove the inequality (attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried factoring out a 2 from each of the even terms in the denominator. This allowed me to cancel out all the terms (odd) on the numerator up to 1005.

Leaves me with:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2^{1006}}\frac{1007*1009*...*2009*2011}{2*4*...*1004*1006} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{2010}}
[/tex]

I don't know how to continue after this point. Can someone please give me a hint? Thanks.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
um, that would be: [tex]\prod_{n=1}^{1006} \frac{2n-1}{2n} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{2010}}[/tex] can also be written in terms of double factorials: [tex]\frac{(2k-1)!}{(2k)!}: k=1006[/tex]

Then you have things like: [tex](2k-1)!=\frac{(2k)!}{2^k k!} \qquad \text{and} \qquad (2k)!=2^k k![/tex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial#Double_factorial
... the identities will be standard proofs you can look up.

notice that 2010 = 2(k-1)

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two values and show the relationship between them. They use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to indicate which value is larger or smaller than the other.

2. How do I solve inequalities?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign and simplify the other side. Remember to flip the inequality sign if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

3. What is the difference between solving equations and solving inequalities?

Solving equations means finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. Inequalities, on the other hand, have multiple solutions and require finding a range of values that make the inequality true.

4. How do I know if my solution to an inequality is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original inequality. If the inequality is still true, then your solution is correct.

5. What is a hint for solving inequality homework?

One helpful hint for solving inequality homework is to graph the inequality on a number line to visually see the possible solutions. This can also help identify any mistakes in the solving process.