Efficiently Solve Motion Problems Using Energy Conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the maximum height reached by a ball and the attempt at solving it using different formulas. The conversation also mentions the use of energy conservation and the possibility of an incorrect value for t.
majormuss

Homework Statement

I just came across this question and i think its giving me a real hard time.
This is part of a bigger question so I'll provide the other statements below
7 The maximum height reached by the ball is
approximately
(1) 1.2 m (3) 4.9 m
(2) 2.5 m (4) 8.5 m

Homework Equations

t=1 s and therefore half way is 0.50s
V(i)=8.9m/s
angle is 35 degrees
Viy= 4.9m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, why is it that I can't use certain formulas in Solving some motion problems even though everything seems to work ok. I tried using this formula...d=V(i)t +1/2at^2... but my answer turns out wrong. and this one rather gives me the answer...Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad...why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Since you know the initial velocity, why not try to solve it using energy conservation?

Hi majormuss! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
majormuss said:
t=1 s and therefore half way is 0.50s

Viy= 4.9m/s

First of all, why is it that I can't use certain formulas in Solving some motion problems even though everything seems to work ok. I tried using this formula...d=V(i)t +1/2at^2... but my answer turns out wrong. and this one rather gives me the answer...Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad...why is that?

All the standard constant acceleration formulas will work. :wink:

I expect you got t = 0.5 s wrong … where did that come from?

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of using energy efficiently and reducing energy waste. It involves using less energy to achieve the same outcome and finding alternative sources of energy to reduce our reliance on non-renewable resources.

2. How does energy conservation solve problems?

By using energy conservation, we can reduce our energy consumption and save money, while also decreasing our impact on the environment. It can also help to address issues such as global warming, air pollution, and resource depletion.

3. What are some examples of energy conservation?

Some examples of energy conservation include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, using public transportation or carpooling, and using renewable energy sources like solar or wind power.

4. How can energy conservation be applied in everyday life?

Energy conservation can be applied in everyday life by making small changes in our daily habits, such as unplugging electronics when not in use, using natural light instead of artificial lighting, and choosing to walk or bike instead of driving for short distances.

5. Is energy conservation important for the future?

Yes, energy conservation is crucial for the future. As our population grows and energy demands increase, it is essential to conserve energy to ensure a sustainable future for generations to come. By reducing our energy consumption, we can also reduce our carbon footprint and help combat climate change.