1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve ivt for non-continuous functions

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We take f:[0,1]→[0,1] a non-increasing function, such that f(x)≥f(y) whenever x≤y; and we want to prove that there exists c∈[0,1] such that f(c)+c=1. We letA={x∈[0;1]:f(x)+x≥1} and we define c=infA.

a) explain why c exists

b)let xn be a sequence of elements of A that converges to c, prove that for all n,f(c)+xn≥1
    c)deduce that f(c)+c≥1
    d)if c=0 prove that f(c)+c≤1
    e)if c>0, consider xn=c−1/n prove that f(c)+c≤1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi, I have been having trouble solving this question since the only information i could find online was using the IVT properties. Apparently this question should be solved without using the properties.
    for
    a) i have said that since the set A is bounded, and there is a lower bound, then there must be an inf for A and hence c must exsist
    b) for b i am not quite sure, as i know that xn can be written in terms of c

So far i have solved something by the lines of:

since f(x) + x [0,1] and we are given to find f(x) + x [itex]\geq[/itex] 1,
    f(0) + 0 [itex]\geq[/itex] 1;
    f(1) + 1 [itex]\geq[/itex] 1;
    hence f(1) [itex]\leq[/itex] c [itex]\leq[/itex] f(0)

I just need help and some direction on where to go next. I am really stuck. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted