Solve log52 (x-3) = x | Tips and Tricks to Graphing Equations

• Thread starter Acnhduy
  • Start date
In summary: Keep in mind that ##\log_5 2## is just a number. For the time being, let's use the letter ##a## in its place. So you have##a(x-3)=x##which after distributing the ##a## becomes##ax-3a=x##.Grouping the ##x## terms on the left and everything else on the right gives##ax-x=3a##,and factoring out ##x####(a-1)x=3a##.Solving for ##x## and plugging ##\log_5 2## back in for ##a## gives
Acnhduy

Homework Statement

log52 (x-3) = x

Homework Equations

log laws

The Attempt at a Solution

One of my friends came up with this equation and asked me to graph it. I haven't seen an equation like this, and do not know how to graph using mapping notation or any other methods. Is it possible to graph this?

Looking at the equation, I would assume that there can only be one answer to this because

log52 can only have one answer since this means that 5x = 2

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can graph a function, not an equation.

Likes 1 person
OH i see thank you

DrClaude said:
True, but maybe what was meant was to graph the function each side of the equation and see where the graphs cross.
Acnhduy, did you mean (log52) (x-3) or log5(2 (x-3))?

Likes 1 person
I was given (log52) (x-3)

DrClaude said:

This is not true. The graph of an equation is the set of tuples which make the equation a true statement.

How do I graph this?

Acnhduy said:
How do I graph this?

If you really were given the equation ##\log_5(2)\cdot(x-3)=x##, then you have a linear equation in a single variable. It has one solution (value which makes it true); ##\frac{3\log_5(2)}{\log_5(2)-1}##. The graph is the singleton set ##\{\frac{3\log_5(2)}{\log_5(2)-1}\}##. The picture associated with this graph is rather uninteresting; it's just a point plotted on the real line.

How did you get to ##\frac{3\log_5(2)}{\log_5(2)-1}## ?

Is it because you distribute log52 to (x-3)?

Can you show me the steps, I don't really know what is going on :frown:

If you distribute it, all I can think of is

x = xlog52 - 3log52

the coefficient can become the exponent so

x = log52x - log523

if so, since the bases are the same I can divide?

x= log5 (2x / 8)

Please show me the steps, this is all I can think of.

Many thanks.

Acnhduy said:
How did you get to ##\frac{3\log_5(2)}{\log_5(2)-1}## ?

Is it because you distribute log52 to (x-3)?

Can you show me the steps, I don't really know what is going on :frown:

If you distribute it, all I can think of is

x = xlog52 - 3log52

the coefficient can become the exponent so

x = log52x - log523

if so, since the bases are the same I can divide?

x= log5 (2x / 8)

Please show me the steps, this is all I can think of.

Many thanks.

Keep in mind that ##\log_5 2## is just a number. For the time being, let's use the letter ##a## in its place. So you have

##a(x-3)=x##

which after distributing the ##a## becomes

##ax-3a=x##.

Grouping the ##x## terms on the left and everything else on the right gives

##ax-x=3a##,

and factoring out ##x##

##(a-1)x=3a##.

Solving for ##x## and plugging ##\log_5 2## back in for ##a## gives

##x=\frac{3a}{a-1}=\frac{3\log_5 2}{\log_5 2-1}##.

Likes 1 person
Oh! I understand now ! :D

Would doing this result in the same thing?

log52 (x-3) = x

Can I divide both sides by (x-3)

log52 = x / (x-3)

And now use the definition of log where

5x/(x-3) = 2

I don't know where I am going with this but how do I solve for x in this case, and would it give me the same as
gopher_p said:
##x=\frac{3a}{a-1}=\frac{3\log_5 2}{\log_5 2-1}##.

Acnhduy said:
I don't know where I am going with this but how do I solve for x in this case, and would it give me the same as

Not to be flippant, but in order to solve ##5^{\frac{x}{x-3}}=2##, you undo all the things you just did and then do it the way that I showed. There is really no way to do it that involves using any properties of logarithms or exponents.

If this were an actual problem from a precalc class, it's likely that the problem started with ##5^{\frac{x}{x-3}}=2## and asked you to solve for ##x##.

Okay then, thanks for the help !

What does "Solve log52 (x-3) = x" mean?

The equation "Solve log52 (x-3) = x" means to find the value of x that satisfies the equation when substituted into both the logarithmic and variable terms. In this case, the logarithmic term has a base of 5 and the variable term is x-3.

What is the trick to solving this equation?

The trick to solving this equation is to use the properties of logarithms to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Specifically, we can use the power rule and the inverse property of logarithms to rewrite the equation as 2^(x-3) = x. From there, we can use algebraic techniques to find the value of x.

How do I graph this equation?

To graph this equation, we can use a graphing calculator or plot points on a graph manually. First, we can rewrite the equation as 2^(x-3) = x to make it easier to graph. Then, we can choose values for x and use a calculator or a table to find the corresponding values for the logarithmic term and the variable term. Finally, we can plot these points and connect them to create a smooth curve.

What are the possible solutions for this equation?

There are two possible solutions for this equation: x = 2 and x = 4. These solutions can be found by substituting the values into the original equation and verifying that they satisfy the equation. Any other values of x will not satisfy the equation.

Why is it important to understand how to solve this equation?

Understanding how to solve this equation is important because logarithmic equations are frequently used to model real-world situations in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. Being able to solve these equations allows us to analyze and make predictions about these situations, making it a valuable skill for any scientist to have.