Solving Maxwell Equations for the Electric Field: Is it Possible? - A Discussion

In summary: The equation that Bill_k provided is a solution to the electric field as a function of the magnetic field. It is not always applicable, as there may be other solutions that are more accurate. However, it is a solution that can be used to calculate the electric field.
Gavroy
hi

i asked myself whether it is possible to solve the partial differential equation rot E=-dB/dt
for the electric field.
i assumed that at least for a few right hand sides this should be possible, but i have never seen anybody doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to know if you can solve that single equation? The Maxwell equations can be combined so that one arrives at wave equations for the electric and magnetic field, which have wave solutions.

It depends also on what you mean by "solve" the equation. If you want the electric field as function of a given magnetic field, this is not sufficient.

You should look for Helmholtz's Theorem in vector calculus. It explains how to construct a given vector fields when its curl and its sources are given. According to this theorem, the field can be split, under certain assumptions on boundary conditions uniquely, in a potential field and a solenoidal field, i.e.,

[tex]\vec{V}=\vec{V}_1+\vec{V}_2 \quad \text{with} \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}_1=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}_2=0.[/tex]

what do you exactly mean by "not suffiecient"? Let me say, if I have a magnetic field B=At/r

where A is some real number. Is there a possibility now to calculate the electric field?

You can find a solution to this equation very easily.
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t. Take the curl of both sides:

∇ x (∇ x E) ≡ ∇ ∇·E - ∇2E = - ∂(∇ x B)/∂t

Let's look for a particular solution with ∇·E = 0. We have

2E = ∂(∇ x B)/∂t with solution given by Poisson's integral,

E(x) = ∫(1/|x - x'|) ∂(∇ x B(x'))/∂t d3x'

The resulting solution does satisfy ∇·E = 0.

Well, who says that

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0?[/tex]

That's what I meant, it's not sufficient to have only the induction Law and a given magnetic field to calculate the electric field. In addition, you also need the sources of the electric field, which is the charge distribution.

@ Bill_k
sorry, but I have some doubts about your solution.

my problem is, that there are always when you solve a differential equation some conditions that the solution must satisfy, but this integral gives only one solution, so:

How can you be sure that this is the right one?
or:
are you sure that your solution is always applicable?

you could integrate both sides over the boundary and use stokes theorem to get it to a line integral on one side. But you probably already know this.

yes i do, but thank you too.

my intention was to get the electric field. bill k already answered my question, but i am not sure whether his equation is always meaningful, as it is just A solution and maybe not always the correct one.

so now maybe someone can tell me a bit more about the meaning of bill's equation

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s and are considered one of the cornerstones of classical electromagnetism.

2. Why are Maxwell's equations important?

Maxwell's equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They have been instrumental in the development of many technologies, including radio, television, and cell phones.

3. How are Maxwell's equations used to solve problems?

Maxwell's equations can be solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, such as vector calculus and differential equations. These solutions can then be used to analyze and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different situations.

4. What are some real-world applications of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations have numerous real-world applications, including the design of electronic circuits, the development of telecommunications technologies, and the creation of medical imaging devices. They are also essential for understanding the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

5. Are there any current challenges in solving Maxwell's equations?

While Maxwell's equations have been extensively studied and applied, there are still some challenges in solving them. These include accurately modeling complex materials and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or in high-energy particle accelerators.