Solving ODE with Variation of Parameters

In summary, the conversation was about using Variation of Parameters to solve an ODE, specifically x^2y'' - 2xy' + 2y = x^(9/2). The speaker was considering using Euler's equation, but was unsure if it would work and asked for a hint. The expert suggested using a general solution and a particular solution, with the latter being found using the Euler trial solution. The speaker then mentioned needing to find y_1 and y_2 for the Variation of Parameters method and wondered if they should include the x's in the quadratic formula. The expert provided a step-by-step guide for solving the homogenous equation and asked the speaker to identify where they were having trouble. The speaker eventually understood and
ISU20CpreE
Hi i need to use Variation of Parameters to solve this ODE

[tex] x^2 y'' - 2xy' + 2y = x^(9/2)[/tex]

So far I was thinking to use Euler's Equation and I really don't know if it will work please help me out with a hint. THanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you will have two distinct contributions:
1. The general solution to the associated homogenous problem (i.e, with the right-hand side equal to zero)

2. A particular solution of your diff.eq. Here, try a simple power solution as your trial function, i.e [tex]y_{p}=Ax^{9}[/tex]

arildno said:
Well, you will have two distinct contributions:
1. The general solution to the associated homogenous problem (i.e, with the right-hand side equal to zero)

2. A particular solution of your diff.eq. Here, try a simple power solution as your trial function, i.e [tex]y_{p}=Ax^{9}[/tex]

Ok. so this is what I did...

[tex] y_p = Ax^9 y'_p = 9Ax^8 y''_p = 72Ax^7 [/tex]

Then i plug in into the original equation

[tex] 72Ax^9 - 18Ax^9 + 2Ax^9 = x^9 [/tex]

after that I get [tex] 1/52 [/tex] as an answer.

Sorry i don't get your point.

ISU20CpreE said:
Ok. so this is what I did...

[tex] y_p = Ax^9 y'_p = 9Ax^8 y''_p = 72Ax^7 [/tex]
That would give you the particular solution, yes (A=1/52)
What have you done about the other contribution?

If you don't get my point, then you have no business doing math, since you evidently haven't bothered to read your textbook or go to class. Goodbye.

arildno said:
That would give you the particular solution, yes.
What have you done about the other contribution?

[tex] y_p = Ax^(9/2) y'_p = 9/2 Ax^(7/2) y''_p = 63/4Ax^(95/2) [/tex]

then i get [tex] A = 34/5 [/tex]

arildno said:
If you don't get my point, then you have no business doing math, since you evidently haven't bothered to read your textbook or go to class. Goodbye.

im sorry i haved worked on these problems for too long and my english is not that good maybe I word my sentence wrong. Would you reconsider.

You need a general solution and a particular solution. The sum of the two is the general solution you are after.

ISU20CpreE said:

Whatever nonsense is this?

You are to solve the homogenous equation:
[tex]x^{2}y_{h}''-2xy_{h}'+2y_{h}=0[/tex]

Use the Euler trial solution: [tex]y_{h}=Cx^{n}[/tex]
in order to determine allowable values for n.

FunkyDwarf said:
You need a general solution and a particular solution. The sum of the two is the general solution you are after.

I know but what's going on is that I need to use Variation of parameters and for that I need y_1 and y_2 so I am stuck. One of my friends told me they have used Euler's method to find y_1 and y_2

ISU20CpreE said:
I know but what's going on is that I need to use Variation of parameters and for that I need y_1 and y_2 so I am stuck. One of my friends told me they have used Euler's method to find y_1 and y_2
Well, why didn't you say at the beginning you were required to do this with variation of parameters, then?

ISU20CpreE said:
Hi i need to use Variation of Parameters to solve this ODE

[tex] x^2 y'' - 2xy' + 2y = x^(9/2)[/tex]

So far I was thinking to use Euler's Equation and I really don't know if it will work please help me out with a hint. THanks.

I did. Oh and i was trying to solve the homogeneous eq and I don't know if I should take the x's into my quadratic formula or just the constants.??

ISU20CpreE said:
I did. Oh and i was trying to solve the homogeneous eq and I don't know if I should take the x's into my quadratic formula or just the constants.??
Asking that shows you haven't really tried it:
Let's see:
[tex]y_{h}''=n*(n-1)Cx^{n-2}, y_{h}=nCx^{(n-1}}[/tex]
Inserting this into the homog. equation yields:
[tex]x^{2}n*(n-1)Cx^{n-2}-2xnCx^{n-1}+2Cx^{n}=0\to{n(n-1)Cx^{n}-2nCx^{n}+2Cx^{n}=0\to(n(n-1)-2n+2)Cx^{n}=0[/tex]
Now, what must you require so that the last left hand side is zero for all choices of x, but so that in general, [itex]y_{h}[/tex] is distinct from the zero function?

ISU20CpreE said:

This would be correct particular solution for your EDITED ODE, something that occurred AFTER my first replies.

arildno said:
This would be correct particular solution for your EDITED ODE, something that occurred AFTER my first replies.

Sorry to bug you too much but I am confused on the post before the last one.

What's your problem with it? You INSERT a trial solution into your diff.eq and see what happens!
Please say EXACTLY where your problem with that lies!

arildno said:
What's your problem with it? You INSERT a trial solution into your diff.eq and see what happens!
Please say EXACTLY where your problem with that lies!

I got it! LOL thank you so much for your time and I am sorry to bother you Ill be prepared next time.

What is the concept behind solving ODE with Variation of Parameters?

The concept behind solving ODE (ordinary differential equations) with Variation of Parameters is to find a particular solution to the ODE by introducing a set of parameters and then solving for them using the initial conditions of the equation.

How does the method of Variation of Parameters differ from other methods of solving ODEs?

The method of Variation of Parameters differs from other methods of solving ODEs by allowing the parameters to vary and using them to find a particular solution, rather than just substituting values into a general solution.

What types of ODEs can be solved using Variation of Parameters?

Variation of Parameters can be used to solve first-order linear ODEs, as well as second-order linear ODEs with constant coefficients.

What are the steps involved in solving ODE with Variation of Parameters?

The steps involved in solving ODE with Variation of Parameters include finding the general solution of the homogeneous equation, finding a particular solution by introducing parameters, and then solving for these parameters using the initial conditions of the equation.

Are there any limitations to using Variation of Parameters to solve ODEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using Variation of Parameters. This method may not work for non-homogeneous equations with non-constant coefficients, and it may also produce complex solutions in some cases.