Can you help me with these permutation and combination questions?

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
In summary, the notation "P(n,5)" represents the number of permutations of n objects taken 5 at a time, and to solve the equation "Solve P(n,5)=14 x P(n,4)", we can use the formula P(n,r) = n!/(n-r)! and plug in n=5 and n=4. However, this equation has no solution. An example of a similar equation with a solution is "Solve P(n,3) = 8 x P(n,2)". This equation represents a theoretical problem and may have practical applications in various fields. While there may be other methods for solving this equation, using the formula for permutations is the most straightforward method.
F.B
I just started permutations and combinations and I am already stuck so can you please help me understand this.

This first question i keep doing something so can you check my work.

Solve the equation for n

P(n,5)=14 x P(n,4)

Heres what i did.

n!/(n-5)!=14 x n!/(n-4)!
1/(n-5)=14
14n-70=1
n=71/14
This is the answer i get but the book has a different answer. They have 18 as an answer.

My second question is:

A standard deck of cards has had all the face cards (jack,queen and king) removed so that only the ace through 10 of each suit remain. A game is played in which two cards are drawn (without replacement) from this decj and a six sided die is rolled. For the purpose of this game the ace is considered 1.

a)Determine the total possible number of outcomes for this game.
b)Find the probability of drawn one even card and rolling an even number
c)two even cards are drawn and even number is rolled.

I can't do b) and c) because i can't do a) so i need help with this one.

My third question is

A combination lock opens the right combination of 3 numbers from 00 to 99 is entered. The same number may be used more than once.

Heres how i think its done.

100!/(100-3)! x 3!
but somehow i think this is wrong.

My last question is this.

Twelve students have signed up to server on the yearbook committee.
a) How many ways can the staff adviser choose three people to act publisher, lead photographer, and editor, respectively.
b) In filling these three positions, what is the probability that Francesca is selected as publisher and Marc is chosen as editor?

I tried doing this:
a)12!/(12-3)!
Is this right.
b) i have no idea how to do it so please help me.

I really need to learn this so can anyone please help me or teach me how to do these types of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You didn't handle your factorials correctly. E.g. the left side should be n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4) and similarly for the right side. You should end up with n - 4 = 14 after cancellations.

2) There are [itex]6 \binom {40}{2}[/itex] possibe outcomes since only 40 cards remain after removing the face cards.

3) HINT: There are 100 choices for EACH number in the combination.

4) HINT: You know from (a) how many possibilities there are. If the positions of Francesca and Mark are designated then they can paired with any of 10 other people to fill the remaining position.

For number 2 there is only suppose to be 9390. I don't think your answer works unless I am using my calculator wrong.

The answer for 2 is 9360, not 9390. There are 40 possiblities for the first card drawn, then 39 for the second card drawn and 6 possibilities for the roll of the die: (40)(39)(6)= 9360.

1. What does the notation "P(n,5)" mean in the equation "Solve P(n,5)=14 x P(n,4)"?

The notation "P(n,5)" represents the number of permutations of n objects taken 5 at a time. This means that we are arranging 5 objects in a specific order from a total of n objects.

2. How do you solve the equation "Solve P(n,5)=14 x P(n,4)"?

To solve this equation, we can use the formula for permutations: P(n,r) = n!/(n-r)!. We can plug in n=5 and n=4 to get P(5,5) = 5!/(5-5)! = 5! and P(4,4) = 4!/(4-4)! = 4!. This simplifies the equation to 5! = 14 x 4!. By dividing both sides by 4!, we get 5 = 14, which is not possible. Therefore, there is no solution to this equation.

3. Can you provide an example of a similar equation with a solution?

Yes, for example, "Solve P(n,3) = 8 x P(n,2)" has a solution. Using the same formula for permutations, we get P(n,3) = n!/(n-3)! and P(n,2) = n!/(n-2)!. Plugging these into the equation, we get n!/(n-3)! = 8 x n!/(n-2)!. By simplifying and solving for n, we get n=5. Therefore, the solution to this equation is P(5,3) = 8 x P(5,2).

4. What is the significance of the equation "Solve P(n,5)=14 x P(n,4)"?

This equation represents a theoretical problem of finding a value of n that satisfies the equation. It may also have practical applications in fields such as mathematics, statistics, and computer science where permutations are used to solve problems.

5. Are there any other methods for solving this equation?

Yes, there may be other methods such as using combinatorial identities or using a calculator to find the value of n. However, for this specific equation, using the formula for permutations is the simplest and most straightforward method.