1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solve Poisson's Equation

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]V=([tex]\rho[/tex])/([tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{0}[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a function of x which i can supstitute into Charge density and boundary conditions, however my problem with this is very simple. How to i manipulate the equation to get a funvtion for V. Obviously i need to get rid of the div of the div of v and i assume this has to be done through some form of intergration?

I assume this isn't as simple as intergrating both sides twice?

I would appreciate any guidance that can be given on this.

Regards.

Leo

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, differential equations in physics are hard to solve. From what you posted, I understand that the function [itex]\rho = \rho(x)[/itex] is given, and you are working in one dimension only.

In that case,
    [tex]\nabla^2 V = \frac{d^2 V}{dx^2}[/tex]
    so you can solve your equation (I'm wiping the constant into rho, for notational convenience)
    [tex]\frac{d^2 V}{dx^2} = \rho(x)[/tex]
    by integrating twice.

For example, when [itex]\rho(x) = \epsilon_0 x^2[/itex] you would simply get
    [tex]V''(x) = x^2[/tex]
    so
    [tex]V'(x) = \frac13 x^3 + c[/tex]
    and
    [tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{12} x^4 + c x + k[/tex]

The only snag might be that the integration is very hard to do: just pick a nasty function like [tex]\rho / \epsilon_0 = \sqrt{1 + x e^x}[/tex] and your scr*wed :)

Note that once you go to two dimensions, things already get far less trivial, you would have to solve
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2V}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial y^2} = \rho(x, y)[/tex]
    which takes a little more than two integrations (usually, you already need things like symmetry and polar coordinates here to make anything of it).

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    That makes makes perfect sense! Thank you for your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook