Solve Polynomials: f(x)=6 | Mathcad Solutions

• Thread starter herpamad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a function f(x) using Mathcad, specifically the polyroots and solve functions. The problem at hand is finding the value of x when f(x) is equal to 6. The person is struggling to modify the code to get the desired result and is seeking help. The suggested solution is to solve for f(x)-6=0 instead.
herpamad

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 11x^2 -9x +18[/tex]

when

[tex]f(x) = 6[/tex]

Homework Equations

Using Mathcad

Polyroots, solve function,

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to paste mathscad, but i can get solution using polyroots for

[tex]f(x) = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to modify the mathscad code so that i can get

[tex]f(x) = 6[/tex]

I know how to use the basic root, polyroot and solve functions.

I have done an X/Y graph, but can't seem to get 6 on the y axis, always a little over or under.

Help is really, really appreciated, needed a.s.a.p,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try and solve [tex]f(x)-6=0[/tex]?

Yeah, your 100% right, thanks for that.

Funny how the simple things always get over-looked.

Thanks a million again

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can be written in the form f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are the coefficients, x is the variable, and n is the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do you solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you need to set the equation equal to zero and use algebraic methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or long division to find the roots or solutions. The number of solutions will be equal to the degree of the polynomial.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the polynomial expression. For example, in the polynomial f(x) = 3x2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the highest exponent of x is 2.

4. How do you use Mathcad to solve polynomial equations?

In Mathcad, you can use the "Solve" function to solve polynomial equations. First, enter the polynomial expression in the Mathcad worksheet. Then, click on the "Solve" button and select "Polynomial" from the list of options. Mathcad will then show the solutions to the polynomial equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of polynomial functions?

Polynomial functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model real-life situations such as population growth, projectile motion, and economic trends. They are also used to design computer graphics, digital signal processing, and data compression algorithms.