Solve quadratic in non-10 base

In summary, solving a quadratic equation in a non-10 base involves using the same methods as a base 10 equation, but converting the numbers to the appropriate base first. A non-10 base, also known as a non-decimal base, uses a base other than 10 to represent numbers. An example of solving a quadratic equation in a non-10 base is converting the coefficients to binary and using the quadratic formula. There are no special rules for solving quadratic equations in non-10 bases, but familiarity with conversions and arithmetic operations in different bases may be necessary. Solving quadratic equations in non-10 bases can be useful for certain applications and can provide a unique perspective and challenge for those interested in mathematics and number systems.
zaper

Homework Statement

I need to solve 0 = 5x2 - 50x + 125 with solutions x = 5, x = 8.

Homework Equations

Referencing this thread I arrived at the equation (x - 5)(x - 8) = 5x2 - 50x + 125. Expanding

x2 - 13x + 40 = 5x2 - 50x + 125

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simply compare coefficients here but I saw that for x2 this would give me 1b = 510 which I don't think is possible. So what I did instead was factor out a 5 giving

x2 - 13x + 40 = 5(x2 - 10x + 25) which I set up the system

1b = 110 -> 1 = 1
-13b = -1010 -> 1 * b + 3 = 10
40b = 2510 -> 4 * b + 0 = 25

The first equation is not helpful at all, the second givers b = 7 which is not possible with x = 8 and the third gives b = 6.25 which is also not possible.

I'm really stumped here. Any help would be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
zaper said:
So what I did instead was factor out a 5 giving x2 - 13x + 40.
You factored out the 5 in base 10, at this point the best you can do by factoring out the 5 is x2 - (50/5)x + (125/5). Also since x = 8 is a solution, then the base must be greater than 8. Also what is (50/5) in any base (any base greater than 5)?

Last edited:
Wow, can't believe I got those sides mixed around like that...

Ok, so then if I can't factor out 5, how would you recommend I go forward? I'm getting stuck at the 110 = 5b

zaper said:
Ok, so then if I can't factor out 5, how would you recommend I go forward?
You can re-write the original equation as:

0 = 5 x2 + (5 b + 0) x + 1 b2 + 2 b + 5.

Where b is the base. You can factor out the 5 from this equation by dividing both sides by 5, but the last term will have fractions.

zaper said:
I'm getting stuck at the 110 = 5b
I don't understand what you mean by this. 1 in any base = 1 in any other base.

zaper said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve 0 = 5x2 - 50x + 125 with solutions x = 5, x = 8.

Just to be clear (since you haven't specified this in your post), is this the quadratic equation in base 10 or your unknown base "b"? Likewise, are the solutions x = 5 & x = 8 in base 10 or base "b"?

Assuming that these are all in base "b", then you should have

[tex]\alpha_{(b)}(x_{(b)}-5_{(b)})(x_{(b)} - 8_{(b)}) = 5_{(b)}x_{(b)}^2 - 50_{(b)} x_{(b)} +125_{(b)}[/tex]

That is, you should not be comparing a base "b" equation to a base 10 equation.

Ok, I just subbed in x = 5 and x = 8 and set them equal to each other. I got b = 13 which seems right to me

zaper said:
Ok, I just subbed in x = 5 and x = 8 and set them equal to each other. I got b = 13 which seems right to me
That's the correct answer. Hope we were able to help.

1. How do you solve a quadratic equation in a non-10 base?

To solve a quadratic equation in a non-10 base, you can use the same methods as you would for a base 10 equation, but you will need to convert the numbers to the appropriate base before solving.

2. What is a non-10 base?

A non-10 base, also known as a non-decimal base, is a counting system that uses a base other than 10 to represent numbers. Examples of non-10 bases include binary (base 2), hexadecimal (base 16), and octal (base 8).

3. Can you give an example of solving a quadratic equation in a non-10 base?

Sure, let's say we have the quadratic equation 2x2 + 5x + 3 = 0 and we want to solve it in binary (base 2). We would first convert the coefficients to binary, giving us 10x2 + 101x + 11 = 0. Then, we can solve using the quadratic formula, but we would need to convert the discriminant and the solutions back to binary to get the final answer.

4. Are there any special rules for solving quadratic equations in non-10 bases?

The same rules and methods apply for solving quadratic equations in non-10 bases as they do for base 10 equations. However, you may need to be familiar with the conversions between different bases and how to perform arithmetic operations in those bases.

5. Why would someone want to solve a quadratic equation in a non-10 base?

Solving quadratic equations in non-10 bases can be useful for certain applications, such as computer programming and digital electronics, where binary, hexadecimal, or octal systems are commonly used. It can also provide a different perspective on the problem and can be a fun challenge for those interested in mathematics and number systems.