What are the solutions to a system of equations involving x, y, and z?

• Thread starter phucghe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about finding all pairs (x,y) in the set of real numbers that satisfy the equations \frac{x^4-16}{8x}=\frac{y^4-1}{y} and x^2-2xy+y^2=8. The conversation also includes discussions about the complexity of the problem and possible approaches to finding the solutions. One participant suggests rewriting the equations to make it easier to find the solutions.
phucghe
Find all pairs [tex](x,y) \in R [/tex] such that :
[tex]\frac{x^4-16}{8x}=\frac{y^4-1}{y}[/tex] and [tex] x^2-2xy+y^2=8[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
phucghe said:

1) You should write "pairs [tex](x,y) \in R^2 [/tex]" or "[tex]x, y \in R[/tex]".

2) What form do you need the answer in? Looking at those 4th powers and mixed terms, I'm guessing that there might not be a simple or intuitive solution for this.

3) What work have you done on the problem so far?

Mathematica finds 8 complex solutions.

I'am a elemantary pupil so I don't know about complex number
Could anyone give me a complete solution.

CRGreathouse said:
Mathematica finds 8 complex solutions.

Mathematica > my rough analysis of the problem.

If there's only 8 solutions, you can probably find them all by trial and error. To prove that there are exactly 8 solutions, and you have accounted for them all probably requires you to do a little arguing.

phucghe said:
Rewrite your equations as:
[tex]\frac{(x-2)(x+2)(x^{2}+4)}{8x}=\frac{(y-1)(y+1)(y^{2}+1)}{y},(x-y)^{2}=8[/tex]
this ought to help a bit.

thanks but it seems to be not necessary for this problem.
Though by putting x=2z I had : [tex]\frac{z^4-1}{z}=\frac{y^4-1}{y}[/tex],cossidering the function [tex]f(x)=x^3-\frac{1}{x} [/tex] and its monotonousness ,there are still some troubles for example f(x) is not continuous at x=0

1. What are system equations?

System equations are a set of two or more equations that have multiple variables and can be solved together to find the values of those variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

2. How do you solve system equations?

To solve system equations, we use different methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

3. Can all system equations be solved?

No, not all system equations have a solution. Some systems may have no solution, while others may have infinite solutions. This depends on the relationship between the equations and the number of variables.

4. What is the purpose of solving system equations?

The purpose of solving system equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Is there a specific order in which equations should be solved?

No, there is no specific order in which equations should be solved. However, it is important to follow the same method consistently to avoid errors. It may also be helpful to choose the method that is most efficient for the given system of equations.