Solve System of DEs: x', y', x^2, y^2

• Thread starter accountkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, solving systems of differential equations can be challenging, especially when the equations are non-linear. Some approaches to simplifying the process include eliminating variables, using numerical methods, or applying linear algebra techniques. If you are still struggling, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a colleague or tutor.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Solve the system of differential equations:
x' = 10x - x^2 - yx , y' = 30y - 2xy - y^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the first equation for y and plugging it into the second, and vice-versa, but my answers get so complicated, like I got (-x'')/(x') + (10x'/2x) + (x'^2/x^2) - x' - x^2 + 30x - 109 = 0. How on Earth would I find the characteristic equation/roots of something like that?

Is there some easier way to solve this system that I didn't catch?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Solving systems of differential equations can be a challenging task, especially when the equations are non-linear as in this case. However, there are some techniques that can help simplify the process.

One approach is to try and find a way to eliminate one of the variables, either x or y, from the system of equations. This can be done by manipulating the equations algebraically or by using substitution. Once one variable is eliminated, the resulting single differential equation can be solved using standard methods.

Another approach is to use numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate the solutions. These methods involve breaking down the system of equations into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution at each step.

If you are familiar with linear algebra, you can also try using matrix methods to solve the system. This involves writing the system of equations in matrix form and using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion to find the solution.

I hope these suggestions help you in solving the system of equations. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking guidance from a colleague or a mathematics tutor. Good luck!

1. How do you solve a system of differential equations?

To solve a system of differential equations, you need to first identify the type of system (linear, nonlinear, homogeneous, etc.), and then use appropriate techniques such as substitution, elimination, or matrix methods to find the solutions. It is also important to check for initial conditions and use them to determine any constants that may be present in the solutions.

2. What are the variables x' and y' in a system of differential equations?

The variables x' and y' represent the derivatives of x and y, respectively. They are used to describe how the values of x and y change over time or with respect to another variable in the system.

3. How do you handle the term x^2 or y^2 in a system of differential equations?

The term x^2 or y^2 indicates a nonlinear system, which can be more challenging to solve. In this case, you may need to use techniques such as substitution or transformation to convert the system into a linear or separable form. Alternatively, you can also use numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving systems of differential equations?

Solving systems of differential equations is a crucial tool in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. It is used to model and understand complex systems such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits.

5. Can a system of differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of differential equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, most systems have an infinite number of possible solutions. However, the specific solutions that are relevant to a particular situation are determined by the initial conditions and any other constraints or parameters in the system.