1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the Differential Equation: (1 - x^2) y'' - (4x) y' + (6) y = 0

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem (number 9 in 5.2 of Boyce, DiPrima 8th Edition Book):

[tex](1 - x^2)\,y'' - (4x)\,y' + (6)\,y = 0,\,x_0 = 0[/tex]

Here is what I have so far:

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\,(n + 2)\,(n + 1)\,a_{n + 2}\,x^n - \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\,n(n - 1)\,a_n\,x^n - 4\,\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\,n\,a_n\,x^n + 6\,\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\,a_n\,x^n = 0[/tex]

Now, I took out the first two terms (n = 0 and n = 1) of the first sum to make it's index go to n = 2 in order to add all the sums together, right?

[tex]2\,a_2 + 6\,a_3\,x[/tex]

Continuing in that fashion to add the sums, i get this:

[tex]2\,a_2\,+\,6\,a_3\,x\,-\,4\,a_1\,x\,+\,6\,a_0\,+\,6\,a_1\,x\,+\,\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\,\left[(n\,+\,2)\,(n\,+\,1)\,a_{n\,+\,2}\,-\,n\,(n\,-\,1)\,a_n\,-\,4\,n\,a_n\,+\,6\,a_n\right]\,x^n\,=\,0[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I am not sure if I pulled out those factors correctly or what, please help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2
    Whoops!

I copied the problem wrong!

It is supposed to be:

[tex](1 + x^2)\,y'' - (4x)\,y' + (6)\,y = 0,\,x_0 = 0[/tex]

And NOT:

[tex](1 - x^2)\,y'' - (4x)\,y' + (6)\,y = 0,\,x_0 = 0[/tex]

One little minus sign!

The whole solution is worked out as the last problem here!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?