1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the eigenvalue problem

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    Solve the eigenvalue problem O[tex]_{6}[/tex] [tex]\Psi[/tex](x) = [tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\Psi[/tex](x)

O[tex]_{6}[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex](x) = [tex]\int[/tex] from negative infinity to x of dxprime *[tex]\Psi[/tex](xprime) * xprime
    what values of eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] lead to square integral eigenfuctions? (Hint: Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x)

Im trying to do this with integration by parts but i keep getting infinity in some form or another. Im assuming [tex]\Psi[/tex](xprime) is equal to the derivative of [tex]\Psi[/tex](x) with respect to x. so i end up with [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex](xprime) is equal to some integral that keeps working out to infinity. I dont want anyone to give me a solution but if anyone can give me a bump in the right direction i would be pumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't paying enough attention to the hint. How do you find d/dx of an integral with x as the upper limit? You should get a simple ODE to solve for psi.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?